Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
One of my gripes with TFF is Youtube playback using HTML5 - whilst pretty slick on a G5, it's a real CPU hog on a G4 portable - and there are no download options either.
Using a Youtube video downloader extension is also far too clunky, as the browser automatically starts loading the video and attemps to play it as HTML5 whilst you're trying to sort the downloader out.

Here's a method to enable Coreplayer (or any player for that matter) for video playback and provide download options too.

In TFF go to Tools/Add-ons and search for and install Greasemonkey (as I write, version 3.8).
Once installed and restarted, click on the Greasemonkey menu button now showing in the top right and select Web sites...Get User Scripts.
From this page go to https://greasyfork.org and search for "Viewtube"
Click on Viewtube and click "Install this script" button.
Now when you visit Youtube, a bar will be visible above the video allowing you to play/download the video in various formats. Play will only work with Quicktime enabler but clicking "Get" will allow you to play the file with a player of your choice or download it.
Testing on my 1.33 iBook this combo plays full screen 360P video whilst TFF is still active at under 50% CPU - compared to 90-100% for HTML5 playback.

As Viewtube is Javascript that's editable under the extension preferences, I'd guess someone might be able to integrate Coreplayer more tightly?

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Correct? If so, that will need to be installed as well right? Or does Greasmonkey do the work here?
QTE allows the video to play in browser but I no longer use QTE as it never worked for me so haven't tried that feature. I guess playing the video through Quicktime will be just as CPU intensive as HTML5?

Reactions: bobesch

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
QTE allows the video to play in browser but I no longer use QTE as it never worked for me so haven't tried that feature. I guess playing the video through Quicktime will be just as CPU intensive as HTML5?
Strange.

Whenever I used the QTE it loaded the stream in to Quicktime. Never played in the browser. I wonder if that may be because of a tweak I made in about:config/

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Strange.

Whenever I used the QTE it loaded the stream in to Quicktime. Never played in the browser. I wonder if that may be because of a tweak I made in about:config/
What I meant was with QTE installed and Viewtube it should play in browser but I can't confirm as I've just installed QTE and it doesn't work at all, with or without Viewtube.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What I meant was with QTE installed and Viewtube it should play in browser but I can't confirm as I've just installed QTE and it doesn't work at all, with or without Viewtube.
Ah, ok! I get you now! Haven't used it in a while (I usually just open Safari for this) so I guess it could be broken.
[doublepost=1461977547][/doublepost]
You and your tweaks, I see more coming :D
The last few have all been yours! ;) :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.