integrating powermac into home theatre

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Foxer, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Basically, I need to know how I can watch a DVD being played on my powermac on my TV. I'm perfectly content to listen to the sound out through the mac, but I'd prefer to watch the thing on my TV. I know Apple has a video adapter which works for iMacs, iBooks, and the new PB, but how about one for their "pro" line.

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Options

Ok, it depends what kind of hookups you have on your TV and you Graphics Card.

Can you tell us what kind of TV hookups you have on your TV?

Also, what ports are on your graphics card?

3. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: Options

It's a new PowerMac 1.4 with the standard ports on the back. I've added teh M Audio 7.1 card. Video card is the nvidia geforce4 that came with it.

TV runs the gammut. RCA plugs, S-Video and composite. I'd like to use the composite signal if I can, but I'll take what I can get.

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Re: Options

I think you mean component there. I don't know of any Mac cards that have component out excepting high end cards intended for video editing. Your best bet would be S-Video, and you'll have to buy an interface to use that.

This one is from Formac. It's a little expensive at $399, but you can use it for other things, like importing analog video and TV to your PowerMac.

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=so...tv&PHPSESSID=c4c3c81040b5fac944f03835589079a3

Hope this helps.

5. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

Yes, you're right, component - not composite. I'm a moron.

I'm familiar with the Formac DV studio, becasue I'm probably about to buy one in order to transfer my old VHS tapes for conversion to DVD. I was not aware that it could take a DVD signal and send it to a TV. I now see that it does.

So there is no quick and easy cable? This is going to suck, isn't it?

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

No, there is no quick and easy cable. The signal outputted by your computer is much different than the signal your TV takes in. Some graphics cards, like my GeForce 4 Ti4400 in my PC and my Radeon 7500 in my iBook, have TV output built-in. There are also PC to TV devices, but I have found them to be annoying and fairly expensive.

Also keep in mind that most TVs do not look good at resolutions above 640x480. You can go higher, but the picture will not look good. But for DVD it is fine.

7. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Simple Solution

I have wanted to do this also for a long time, the best answer I have found is buy a cheap iBook, or if you have the cash, a POwerBook, and use it only as a media center computer if you want. Yo can a) stream music from the iBook to the home deck, 2) play dvd's to the TV. All this can be done without the need of expensive breakout boxes, or new vid cards.

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: Simple Solution

All you need is a $1000 iBook... :rolleyes:

A used iBook with a video out will run you $300 (clamshell) to $500 (square iBook 500).

It is nice to have a dedicated media computer, though. The only problem with a laptop is the expensive disk space. Think xServe for your media rack. :D 720GB is enough to hold those MP3s and ripped DVDs.

9. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

Re: Simple Solution

To be honest, I've got a 12 inch PB. I think it's odd that I can buy a $20 adapter at the apple store and it will do exactly what the powermac can't do without an expensive add-on. Oh well....

10. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

You could always add a Radeon 7000 PCI card, and do dual video cards. The Radeon 7000 has S-video outs (according to mac mall)

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

if only APPLE's video cards had s-video, why cant they just do it. All my NVidia cared have come with s-video, why cant you apple.

iJon

12. Foxer thread starter macrumors 65816

Foxer

Can I run two video cards? I don't want to lose the card I have for ordinary computer use. Can I put this second card in one of the slots and run both simultaneously?