intel 2.16 GHz intel core duo vs. 2.33 GHz intel core 2 duo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jkeuhnelian, Jan 2, 2007.

1. jkeuhnelian macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007
    how much faster is the new processor? is it worth spending a few hundred dollars more for it?
  2. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    It is more than just a couple hundred dollars for a processor bump cos you also get that extra 1 stick of memory with a $150 value (by Apple's reckoning).
  3. jkeuhnelian thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007
    putting that aside, would you see any performance difference and at this point in time, is it worth having the core 2 duo processor which apparently will optimize native software for the new platform when native software eventually comes out--who knows when?
  4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I went for the 2.33 ghz in my iMac, and it comes down to weather or not you have the money for it. I got it because I will have this computer for 4 years and want to get the most out of it.

So if your computer will last you 2 years then save your money. But if you plan on keeping it for longer than that, just get it. It is always a good idea to pay for better hardware that will last you for awhile.
  5. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2007
    If it's MBPs you're talking about, the 2.33 model also has a better graphics card, which could make a difference if you're running games or graphics programs. Other than that and the extra gig of memory, I doubt the extra speed would do much. You should definitely buy 2gigs of memory, and you might be better off spending the money on 3 gigs memory than on a small increase in processor speed. On the other hand, it's possible to upgrade to 3gigs later, and for much cheaper as prices come down.
  6. jkeuhnelian thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2007