Intel already effecting sales?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crap freakboy, Jun 15, 2005.

1. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Just been looking at the refrubished page at Apple UK which is open on Wednesdays only. Normally PM's only take a few hours to show 'Sold', but at 17.39 GMT all are still unsold. This is extremely unusual and if indicates a new trend Apple should be bloody worried. There are some great discounts as well this week which again adds fuel to the fire.

examples-

Refurbished Power Macs

Refurb Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8GHz G5/256MB/80GB/SD/PCI/GeFr5200
    (Original Product inc VAT Price was: £1349) -30% now £944.30
    Refurb Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz G5/512MB/160GB/SD/PCI-X/GeFr5200
    (Original Product inc VAT Price was: £1699) -30% now £1,189.30
    Refurb Power Mac G5 Dual 2.5GHz G5/512MB/160GB/SD/PCI-X/ATI9600XT
    (Original Product inc VAT Price was: £1999) -30% now £1,399.31
    Refurb Power Mac G5 1.8GHz/ 256MB/ 80G/ SuperDrive/ PCI/ GeFr5200/ GigE/ 56K - Apple Certified
    (Original Product inc VAT Price was: £999) -20% now £799.20

2. jim. macrumors 6502

You mean "affecting", crap freakboy, "affecting". Sentences need verbs not strings of nouns.

Grammar nazi aside; yes, it is possible that people are not sure what to do about the impending switch. This is being discussed almost everywhere on this forum.

Jim

3. crap freakboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

lol thanks for the advice, I'm a grammar rebel.
    I realise the Intel 'effect' :) is being discussed absolutely everywhere but I haven't seen a reference to how badly UK refurb sales are suddenley doing. Thats all, please feel free to wasteland.

4. jim. macrumors 6502

NP, "affect" vs. "effect" is my pet peeve. You wouldn't believe how many researchers can't even do it right (and they've had how many years of school and writing?), and it even ends up in their presentations!

Jim

5. Willy S macrumors 6502

Is this a lingustics forum or what? This is a good thread and not waste it on grammar please!

The atmosphere lately haven´t been positive for Apple and I guess they anticipated it. I think that is the reason why we are getting updates now but not only this fall.

This change to Apple made me want to buy a lowend machine rather than PM, but didn´t spot me buying Macs. I think there will be some issues with Mactels in the first year and they won´t be very staple until 2008. Then I would maybe like to upgrade to a Mactel, depending on my needs and the speed gain from my 2005 macs.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There could be lots of reasons for them being left other than the Intel news.

How many PMs went on at 10am this morning? Perhaps they usually only put 2 or 3 on and they go quickly but today they put 9 or 10 on so there are a few left?

Are they the current configurations? Perhaps people if people are buying PM with the expectation that they're going to have to last them til rev B on the Intel Powermacs, they're buying the newer configurations with better graphics cards etc included?

7. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Ok, willy is right... not a grammar forum.. however to clear things up...

Effect is the noun... Example: What effect does one of Steve's Keynotes have?

Affect is the verb... Example: They affect Mac Sales greatly.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

There aren't any PMs in the US refurbs today. But there are iBooks of every description, as well as lots of iPods.

grammar quibble: Effect can be used as a verb, as follows: "We will take action to effect this change." It's possible this is a verbism (like "we will keyboard the data") but I've seen it quite a lot.

9. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the "effect-affect" issue bothers me almost as much as the "nuclear" pronounced "nook-YOO-lar", as opposed to the correct "noo-clee-er."

Back on topic, I'm really glad I got my PowerMac 2GHz Rev A when I did. I wouldn't want to be in the market for a new computer in the next year and a half!

10. crap freakboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

True.

Usually there may be up to three PMs, sometime none.
    This morning at 10am there were 5 and now at 7.36pm there are still 5, all unsold. Usually one would be sold by midday, with the others sold by mid-afternoon. Trust me this is highly unusual. Infact if memory serves me well (which it rarely does these days) last weeks 2 PMs were still unsold by early afternoon. The only reason I know the pattern of sales at the UK refurb store is that I'm seriously considering upgrading to a G5, just haven't got the green light from the old lady. So week in, week out I check vainly for that Dual G5 bargain at £500, alas it aint happening, I live in hope.

It's possible but I've always seen previous revs sell just as quickly as current revs probably due to the discounts. A simple check on ebay shows that a rev A PM will sell for a silly price on ebay, amost uptothe retail price for a rev B.

It could be the widespread news of the future switch to Intel, it may not be. I know of two Mac Users upgrade plans have been delayed due to the news. I tried to convince one why PPC is a good investment but he couldn't see past the idea that he was buying old tech rather than the current best.
    More fool him I say.

11. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Actually, they can both be verbs.

EDIT: I didn't see the post above that had already cleared this up.

12. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

13. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

That dictionary quote is an eye opener which has seriously confused the issue! thanks though.

14. sk8erboy macrumors regular

jglow?

15. crap freakboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Sort of glad it went off topic, Im bored senseless of all these Intel posts.
    Who cares? OSX is brilliant. The current line-up is fast enough for 99% of people. We'll see if Intel can do the right thing for Apple. I stuck with Macs in the 90's so this is nothing to get worried about.

FYI 22.26 and still nothings been sold.

16. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Say What?

I have been watching the US Apple site for blow-out deals myself and have not seen any yet.

cubist, I think you are right about that "verbism." That sentence ought to be "We will take action to affect this change," yet people mispronouncing the word affect as effect then led to misspelling the word and now that has become commonly excepted and accepted. ;) :D :cool: :(

17. deebster macrumors 6502

Typing effect as affect is alot better then many of the simple mistakes were used to seeing here on the forum.

You see what I did there? Oh, never mind.

*crawls back under rock*

18. mrscribble macrumors newbie

And now the UK refurb store is open "every day until 25/06". Haven't seen that before... has anyone else? Looks like those PMs are still there, too.

19. crap freakboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Well thats a new one. Weird. Last time they did that was the 2 weeks before Christmas 04. Damn wish I had a grand spare. ah well.

20. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

You a*shole :rolleyes: