Intel and Apple "ItaniumMac"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by i_wolf, Mar 21, 2003.

1. i_wolf macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Hi all,
    just saw this over at 2cpu, a website that is for people who have multiple processors in their machine... including mac's , x86 SGI etc...
    Anyhow.... the guys over there reckon that it will be Itanium that we will see in the future powerMac. Take a gander here and the original article

Personally i doubt this as any more than bull speculation.... we pretty much are guaranteed it'll be IBM 970's however.... i makes for interesting reading.
    Kind Regards,
  2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Well, it looks like this article is based off the same upchucked Dvorak nonsense that's being talked about in another thread. There are huge logistical problems in putting an Itanium in a Mac (like the enormous cost, the enormous heat production, the impossibility of getting one into a laptop, the contradiction of all the Intel-bashing Apple likes to do, the stupidity of adopting Itanium when the 970 is mere months away and is all but certain to replace the G4, etc.).
  3. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    i remember someone telling me about "HammerMacs" a few months ago (based on the AMD Hammer processor)
  4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    This article was already posted.

Search for Mac on Intel.
  5. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    There are folks that seem to think "gee how come nobody realizes that Itanium is the future? Somebody ought to use this terrific processor!" But lately Scott McNealy's looking prophetic and it's turning into the Itanic, going keel-up and taking huge amounts of Intel and HP money down to the ocean floor.