Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i_wolf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Hi all,
just saw this over at 2cpu, a website that is for people who have multiple processors in their machine... including mac's , x86 SGI etc...
Anyhow.... the guys over there reckon that it will be Itanium that we will see in the future powerMac. Take a gander here http://www.2cpu.com and the original article
here

Personally i doubt this as any more than bull speculation.... we pretty much are guaranteed it'll be IBM 970's however.... i makes for interesting reading.
Kind Regards,
i_wolf

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
Well, it looks like this article is based off the same upchucked Dvorak nonsense that's being talked about in another thread. There are huge logistical problems in putting an Itanium in a Mac (like the enormous cost, the enormous heat production, the impossibility of getting one into a laptop, the contradiction of all the Intel-bashing Apple likes to do, the stupidity of adopting Itanium when the 970 is mere months away and is all but certain to replace the G4, etc.).

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
There are folks that seem to think "gee how come nobody realizes that Itanium is the future? Somebody ought to use this terrific processor!" But lately Scott McNealy's looking prophetic and it's turning into the Itanic, going keel-up and taking huge amounts of Intel and HP money down to the ocean floor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.