Intel Announces 3.2 GHz Pentium 4.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ZeeOwl, Jun 3, 2003.

1. ZeeOwl macrumors member

Just saw this on MacPlus:
    http://www.macplus.org/magplus/article.php?id_article=4541

The heat is on, the heat is on... :D

For those who don't speak French fluently...

"A new War

Intel continues it's progress in the processor speed war, and has just announced the availability of it's new Pentium 4 running at 3.2 GHz for June 23rd. This processor will be produced using 0.13 µm process, and will include a 512 kiB L2 cache. This very same June 23rd should constitute a historical date for Apple, since it will be the WWDC 2003 opening day in San Francisco, where the G4's official replacement is reportedly going to be officially announced. The speed race should therefore be back on, if Apple is actually capable of delivering new machines capable of out-running Intel-based ones. Following the March ads touting the G4's power (tanks protecting a PowerMac, US government outlawing export to restricted countries, etc...), followed by Motorola's process/supply problems, and Lord Schiller's refutation of the Megahertz Myth, there is no doubt that Apple will relish showing off it's new silicon bomb. It's only human..."

Here's the original article from The Register on which the MacPlus article is based:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/30982.html

Not 100% certain of my translation of "March ads". In French, the adjective «martiaux» can mean:
    a) Having to do with March
    b) Having to do with Mars
    c) Having to do with oriental self-defense
    I though "a" seemed to be the most likely. :D

Edit: Just added a message icon thingy :)

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

3. the future macrumors 6502a

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

don't remember an ad back in march...

wow... i'm actually quite amazed intel can just keep on clocking them faster. i remember a year ago when i interviewed there that they would be getting the 3 GHz out in 2002. the position i interviewed for was the r&d/fabrication control for the newest/future chips. it was pretty tense and sounded a little stressful...

5. ZeeOwl thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I live in Quebec :D

6. ZeeOwl thread starter macrumors member

Re: ads & Ghz

They were refering to the original PowerMac G4 ads when that line was announced. Maybe it was in March. I don't remember. I had the "tanks" one on my machines. Accidently erased it when I upgraded to OS X. Bummer, it was hilarious.

Yeah, Apple has some serious competion on it's hands. Though with the the low-k process announcement from Motorola, that could mean that 1.7 GHz G4 PowerMacs are coming soon. That's obviously not very exciting, but it's a bigger jump than than the 3.06 to 3.2 Ghz Pentiums. They still need the PPC 970's though, if they really want to make an impression on the industry. The low-k G4's would still be useful in the consumer & laptops; more speed or less power.

7. Cubeboy macrumors regular

With .13 micron process (the current micron process), the Pentium 4 should be able to scale to a maximum of 3.6 Ghz before reaching it's architectural limits on that process. Other than providing perfect synchronization with the 800 mhz FSB (pure 4X multiplier), the 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 is really just another speed bump. The real excitement begins fourth quarter of this year when Intel introduces Pentium 5 with .09 strained silicon process which is scheduled to scale up to 5+ ghzs and be significantly faster clock to clock than the current Pentium 4.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

June 23rd????

Well, if Intel thinks the HAVE to do something on June 23rd..... :)

9. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

i would n t be so optimistic if i were you...

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Keep on dreaming for 3 more weeks....

BTW, like your avatar, Maradong! :cool:

11. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Well, the new P4 3.2Ghz will cost about twice what the current top of the range does (3.06Ghz). They must be having a lot of wasted cpu's. I believe its near to $650 per chip.

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Cool! Maybe the 3Ghz 800Mhz FSB will drop a little, I'm gettin' one soon.

13. iMook macrumors regular

Intel question: what fab size is the Tejas processor? 0.09-micron? Anyone know if something like SSE3 is coming for that?

Does anyone besides me see implementation of a Centrino-like "lower clock speed but more calculations per cycle" desktop chip by Intel? Their chip production costs are skyrocketing right now because of their adherence to Moore's Law.

AMD question: Anyone know what the projected frequency max for the AMD Barton chip is?

14. Cubeboy macrumors regular

Tejas (Pentium 6) will replace the Prescott (Pentium 5) which will use .09 micron process in late 2004. All that's known right now is that it will use .65 nm micron process and scale to 9-10 GHzs before being replaced by Nehalem which is completely in the dark right now. SSE3 will be a feature of the Pentium 5 which is scheduled for release Q4 2003.

15. ddtlm macrumors 65816

iMook:

Well certainly AMD has said nothing, but I think that 2.4ghz is doable. Aceshardware.com thinks thats reasonable based on their last test chip.

Also, Intel's recent roadmap is discussed here:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1826

16. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

me to!
    from your thing, i see you live in sherbrook. mine says i live in montréal, but i actualy live in Saint Eustache. (i put montreal so that people have a general idea.)

anyways sorry for being off topic

aethier

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

meanwhile motorola has a 1.42( or is that a overclocked 1 gig anyways moto seems to be dead last. Intel/Amd/IBM..............motorola.

18. pellucidity macrumors member

Moore's Law says nothing about clock speed, just transistor count. If PCs would just ditch the tired x86 arch, they might see improvments.*

*This is not bigoted. a P4 is emulating x86 in hardware- it's superscalar, for one. Why not strip off the outer layer? ....You'd have to recompile the world. Linux could be ported in a day, Windows in a decade.