Intel Announces 45-nm Penryn Processors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 12, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Intel released 16 of their new Penryn Core 2 Extreme and Xeon processors today. The new chips incorporate the new "Hi-k" metal gate formula and also incorporate a smaller 45-nanometer manufacturing process. These changes deliver faster and more energy-efficient processors.

While they did introduce a Core 2 Extreme Qx9750 quad-core processor with SSE4, our attention has focused on Intel's new Xeon processors, which makes up the bulk of Intel's announcements today.
    The new 5400 Xeon chips are compatible with existing Xeon platforms and sets a number of benchmark world records, according to Intel. More data is available at Intel's site.

Apple has been rumored to be buying up the high end 3.2GHz Penryn Xeon processors which feature a faster 1600MHz bus and 12MB of L2 cache for an upcoming Mac Pro revision. Apple currently uses the 5100 Xeon Woodcrest (Quad core Macs) or 5300 Xeon Clovertown (8-core Macs) processors.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

So would these chipsets fit into the sockets of the current Mac Pro's for upgradeability (although voiding warranty)?

3. macrumors 68020

Wild-Bill

Don't Blow It, Apple!!!!

This week has GOT to be the week for the Mac Pro update to drop.

If it doesn't, then it is a true reflection of how Apple could care less about its professional customers. The Mac Pro update is well past the point of overdue.

I wonder if they are going to price BTO options according to the market, and not into the stratosphere like they usually do.

Stratosphere

4. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

They very well might, depending on how "compatible with previous Xeons" is defined. However, you would NOT get the benefit of the faster bus speed by just slotting in a new CPU into your Mac Pro.

5. macrumors 6502a

happydude

tomorrow or MWSF?

so will apple's announcement of new/updated mac pro's be tomorrow (tuesday) or MWSF?

6. macrumors 68000

darthraige

What are you waiting for Apple? LETS GO!!!!!!!! :mad::confused:

7. macrumors 65816

Squonk

Any day now for updated MP's!!! I'm thinking tomorrow (11/12)! :D:D:D

8. macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

Now we can only hope to see 45nm chips in the new iMacs on the next revision.

9. Guest

Darkroom

to all the poor souls who have been waiting in line to get the next Mac Pro and have been waiting for so long, dawn is breaking...

hopefully this means new Mac Pros + Displays in January... and an update to the iMac would be nice then too (that's the long line i'm in currently) :p

10. macrumors 603

HLdan

You make it sound like the Mac Pro's are currently too underpowered to even run Photoshop. Is there something seriously wrong with the current 8 core config besides it not be Penryn?

11. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

For those of you wondering why Apple hasn't updated the Mac Pro yet, I firmly believe that they were waiting for an announcement like this one from Intel. They probably knew that the GPUs in the current Mac Pro line were long in the tooth, and I firmly believe that they will do something about it in the next Mac Pro revision - coming sooner than we expect. Probably at 9:00 AM Pacific Time, 11/12/2007.;)

12. Editor emeritus

longofest

I very much doubt it would appear at MWSF. You don't typically see pro products at MWSF, unless it's a laptop.

13. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

High-end 8 core Mac Pro with updated graphics and more RAM and HDD space standard here I come!

14. macrumors 68020

Wild-Bill

Uhh,.... NO. We are expecting this week, NOT January. If they wait until January, that's a year and a half the Mac Pro will go without an update. That is totally unacceptable.

Where in my post did I say the word "underpowered" ?? And as far as something being seriously wrong, I'd prefer not to buy a machine that features three year old graphics cards.

15. macrumors 68020

suneohair

Yes it doesn't offer value for the money. Especially as of today. They can run photoshop, but the new ones will run it better. 45nm, SSE4, faster per clock than the Woodcrests, faster bus, cooler running.

Plus the current 8-core config is power hungry and too expensive considering what hit today. You would have to be a fool to buy the current 8-core after today. Hell, you would have to be a fool to buy a Mac Pro now.

16. macrumors 68000

Well with respect. It is going to have to acceptable since one can not buy an updated mac pro since they do not exist. So WE will have to wait.

on topic:

LOVE that boost in FSB. Should be very noticable.

and the specs for Virutalizatlion look great.

Professionals. Which these machines are target at would have no prob. buying now as the return on investement for people that use these machines to their fullest extent (video , AE, Shake, 3D) will have their money paid back to them in short order in time savings.

17. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The only thing I see as being a problem with the Mac Pro lineup is the price that you pay for the GFX, standard RAM, standard HDD and superdrive options. I don't know too much about GFX cards but the options Apple has haven't changed for a solid year.

If I needed a high end machine tomorrow, then I would probably get one today, but since I don't need one for at least another 4 months then I will wait, and I might not need a Mac Pro, an iMac may serve me better. As for the BTO options, they aren't that bad. First off you never get it configured by Apple unless you have the money to spend, that's how it works with all computer makers -- including Dell -- so Apple isn't doing anything different. Second you can always do thing cheaper yourself by ordering the parts you need and installing them after market.

18. macrumors regular

Mini-tower please!

Mini-tower please! I finally transitioned from my PowerMac G5 to the new AlumiMac but I'd love to return to Mac Pro land....

19. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Annnnnndddddddd these so called, "Penryn" chips (lol) will be 2 1/2 months OLDER by then. :D

20. macrumors 6502a

I find it interesting that people seem to overlook that the cinema displays haven't been seriously revamped since 2004. THOSE babies are in need of some serious redesigning.

21. macrumors 6502

spydr

I think apple will announce in its own style at Macworld - "shipping today!"

Lenovo and others who have made 'announcements' aren't gonna get it out any sooner anyway. So I don't buy the argument that Apple has to show that it cares for its pro customers by making a similar 'announcement'.

Wait and it will happen – perhaps ahead of some of these 'announcers'

22. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Then buy a Mac Pro. :)

23. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I agree, plus, most Pros don't care about when Apple announces anything. And it doesn't show that Apple doesn't care about its pro market. That was just a stupid statement to tell you the truth. Professionals will be waiting just like everyone else, complaining about it and claiming that Apple doesn't care is more a matter of personality and opinion, not professional status.

24. macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Are these chips just desktop/server class? Or will we see a iMac Quad soon? Are their Mobile Quads yet? Lol A Mini Quad would be sick!

25. macrumors 68000

RichP

Compatible with existing systems sounds very interesting. Beside a reduction in FSB, I wonder if any other "featuresets" are lost if these are compatible with existing machines.