Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Intel today at Computex 2015 announced its next-generation lineup of quad-core Broadwell processors for notebooks and desktop computers, including a trio of Core i7 processors appropriate for the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro: i7-5950HQ, i7-5850HQ and i7-5750HQ. The new processors have base frequencies of between 2.5 GHz and 2.9 GHz and feature integrated Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics.

Intel-New-Broadwell-Chips.png

The fifth-generation Broadwell chips are expected to be available in the next 30-60 days, meaning the first notebooks and desktop computers with the new processors should be available in July or August.

Interestingly, Apple refreshed the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro just last month, but noticeably missing were processor upgrades, as the new machines continue to use the same Haswell processors from the previous generation. While appropriate Broadwell chips will soon be available over the next few months, it is possible that Apple did not want to wait that long to refresh the notebook.

It is also possible that Apple will skip fifth-generation Broadwell processors entirely for the MacBook Pro and release Skylake-based notebooks as early as later this year. Intel also announced the future availability of Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C, and USB 3.1 and DisplayPort 1.2 support, and the new spec would be suitable for inclusion in the next refresh to the Mac lineup.

Article Link: Intel Announces New Quad-Core Broadwell Processors Appropriate for 15-Inch MacBook Pro

Last edited:

satinsilverem2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2013
Richmond, VA
I think Apples going to skip these processors and just continue to wait for Skylake. If Apple did release new ones next week and I had just bought one the ones that were released a couple of weeks ago, I would be super pissed.

Reactions: bwillwall

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Whaaaaaattttt????

Now it really makes no sense why Apple released them with haswell

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Dual core Skylake is coming before Quadcore, so Apple could update the 13" MBP with Skylake and update the 15" with Broadwell at the same time. Kind of uneven, but possible.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
Dual core Skylake is coming before Quadcore, so Apple could update the 13" MBP with Skylake and update the 15" with Broadwell at the same time. Kind of uneven, but possible.
I dont think they are in any hurry to intro skylake for the 13" now that it has broadwell.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It's quite likely that they are waiting for Skylake. If I remember correctly, Broadwell was delayed but Intel said they weren't pushing back the release of Skylake. So upgrading to Broadwell would be foolish when Skylake is supposed to be a fairly major new architecture change. Think redesigned MacBook Pros—and Skylake is supposed to come out later this year. Only upgrade now if you absolutely need to! I'm looking forward to Skylake in the 5K iMac. Then when they go down to the 10mm process in the tock part of the cycle I might pickup a low-powered MacBook for use on the go. The energy efficiency should be pretty fantastic. Might do a 13" Pro if the MacBook is still underpowered by then.

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
It's quite likely that they are waiting for Skylake. If I remember correctly, Broadwell was delayed but Intel said they weren't pushing back the release of Skylake. So upgrading to Broadwell would be foolish when Skylake is supposed to be a fairly major new architecture change. Think redesigned MacBook Pros—and Skylake is supposed to come out later this year. Only upgrade now if you absolutely need to! I'm looking forward to Skylake in the 5K iMac. Then when they go down to the 10mm process in the tock part of the cycle I might pickup a low-powered MacBook for use on the go. The energy efficiency should be pretty fantastic. Might do a 13" Pro if the MacBook is still underpowered by then.

It wouldn't have been foolish at all to wait another two weeks before refreshing the 15" given that very little was changed.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
That's rather awkward with the new MacBook's released... :p
Just hold on for Skylake with Thunderbolt 3!

prism

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2006
It seems to me that the communication channels between apple and intel are poor, which is surprising to say the least.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
This is weird, doesn't Apple usually get exclusive access to intel products ? Like everyone said, lets wait for skylake.
Doesn't make any sense for Apple to use this new processor.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
Broadwell? July?... I want to doubt Apple would release another updated 15" in 2 months time. That just is not Apple like, I'm thinking they'll wait for Skylake. Is it just me or does Intel seem desperate to offload their Broadwell to Apple, Dell, and co? I mean hasn't Intel learned that it's too little too late for Broadwell at this point? I mean I would have liked Broadwell in the last refresh (a week ago,) but EHHH... so frustrating. I hope Apple and all the tech companies are as ticked off at Intel as I am.
Suck it Intel. (suck my fungus covered toe i mean.) ;)

K.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think Apples going to skip these processors and just continue to wait for Skylake. If Apple did release new ones next week and I had just bought one the ones that were released a couple of weeks ago, I would be super pissed.
When has Apple ever released new Macs and then updated them a month later? I think the soonest we ever got an update was around 6 months, when the first MacBook Pro shipped in early 2006.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Ok, please some one tell me when the Skylakes are coming to macbooks?
I buy my computers and keep them for a good 5-7 years so its really worth it for me to wait until the end of 2015, but I doubt we will see Skylake in October when Broadwell is launched in August ?

Reactions: MrUNIMOG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.