Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

intel.jpg
During Intel's second quarter earnings call yesterday afternoon, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich told investors and reporters that Intel has begun shipping the first of its 7th Generation Core processors, known as Kaby Lake.

Kaby Lake is the third member of the 14-nanometer process, following Broadwell and Skylake. It is the first processor Intel has released since announcing the company will no longer adhere to the "tick-tock" processor release cycle, which saw it alternating between shrinking chip fabrication processes and building new architectures each year.

Intel's last two chip releases have been plagued with long delays, and moving away from the tick-tock cycle will allow it to push out new chip updates on a regular basis. Apple's Macs, such as the Retina MacBook Pro and the iMac, have been impacted by Intel's chip delays over the last few years, resulting in long periods of time between updates and unusual update cycles.

Kaby Lake is a semi-tock with optimized microarchitecture, offering support for Thunderbolt 3, native USB 3.1, and DisplayPort 1.2. Krzanich did not offer details on which chips have started shipping, but an old Intel roadmap suggests low-power Core M chips and U-series chips with GT2 graphics (likely not suitable for the MacBook Air) will be the first to ship out.

Kaby Lake chips appropriate for the Retina MacBook Pro, the machine everyone is most curious about, may not launch until the very end of 2016 or the beginning of 2017 and thus may not be released in time for inclusion in this year's rumored update.

Article Link: Intel Begins Shipping First Kaby Lake Processors, but Most Macs Won't Get Them Until 2017

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Bring on the complaints and crying.

These same people will complain if Apple moves to the new release cycle Intel is going to. They'll cry that the new processors aren't a big enough leap to justify a new machine.

You can never win. Everyone always wants more than what's announced and for less.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Unless I missed it (entirely possible), not a lot of people here have been talking about Optane.

On the surface, this looks like the big technology shift that Kaby will bring - but again not a lot of chatter about it. It looks like more than smoke and mirrors, so why are so few people excited about it?

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
You guys at macrumours assume that Apple is going to release any new macs until next year...
[doublepost=1469124662][/doublepost]
Bring on the complaints and crying.

These same people will complain if Apple moves to the new release cycle Intel is going to. They'll cry that the new processors aren't a big enough leap to justify a new machine.

You can never win. Everyone always wants more than what's announced and for less.

Because nothing says 'happy camper' quite like a completely outdated set of computers with the exception of the retina macbook
5o5r2r.png

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
I'm reminded of Steve Jobs' frustration over the slow progress in PowerPC, resulting in the shift to Intel. I'd like to see Apple capture the margin Intel earns, and use it to advance their A family architecture.
Exactly. Imagine them capturing $150-$400 more profit per Mac.

CrystalPepsi

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I'm calling it now. We're going to start seeing Apple put its own chips in their laptops by the end of 2018.. A12x, perhaps? They need to show Intel that they are not willing to tolerate delays and are willing to go down other avenues.

Suspended
Dec 30, 2015
Orlando, FL
You guys at macrumours assume that Apple is going to release any new macs until next year...
[doublepost=1469124662][/doublepost]

Because nothing says 'happy camper' quite like a completely outdated set of computers with the exception of the retina macbook
5o5r2r.png

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#Mac
Who decides they are outdated? I'm very happy with my 2015 15" Pro. Blazing fast compared to what it replaced (late 08 Pro) and while newer stuff might give me a few more minutes of battery and a few better specs I need a computer to edit 4K videos and this one does it and does it well. Specs are for PC users and always have been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.