Intel Centrino? I think not....

Discussion in 'Community' started by jknight8907, Jun 24, 2004.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Has anyone seen the Centrino commercial, the one at the Amphitheater (sp?) where the couple is using a "Centrino powered" laptop to send a webcam feed back home?

Look close. It's a PowerBook with an iSight on top!!

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Is it the one on this page labeled Etna? If it is then it is definitely not a Powerbook or an iSight. Sorry.

3. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

The thing that bugs me the most about these centrino commercials is that they are flagrantly flase advertising. Yeah I know you need an access point to be surfing but c'mon wtf are you gonna find an access point on the side of a mountain?! Intel gets around this by putting all that fine print at the bottom of the screen. My point is many people aren't clear on how Wi-Fi works so they are gonna go out and buy (or attempt to buy) these laptops and think they are going to be online where ever they go. Sorry to go off on a tangent on this thread... I just dont like Intel.

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Its a lookalike.
    I'm sure the commercial people wanted to make something "mac-ish" (notice the screen had the menu bar on the top and jaguar B/G) but it wasn't a powerbook and iSight, just was very similar...

5. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

When I first saw this commercial, I also thought it would be a PowerBook with an iSight. But when I looked closer, I realized it wasn't a PB (and it's running Windows XP) and the camera on top isn't an iSight either.

6. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Don't worry, that thread is completely ON-topic. You are very right, however. Most people that I talk to think that Centrino is some magical internet technology, where you can be connected anywhere (with no accesspoint). Centrino is nothing more than a marketing name that manufacturers can apply to a notebook when they use a specific 1) Processor, 2) Chipset, 3) Wi-Fi Card.

7. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Don't remind me... Those commercials make me wanna vomit, they can burn in Hell!!! :mad:

8. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

i know what you mean - i had jury duty with a guy who was convinced his mom had a pda that could browse the internet by using their home computer as an access point some 20 miles away. i do feel that it is false advertising in many ways. i don't recall ever seeing a cordless phone commercial where a person walked a quarter mile from their house and still kept talking. if they can do the wi-fi on the side of the mountain with a disclaimer, i say apple should start re-broadcasting the G5 commercial with a disclaimer as well.

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

The other thing that annoys me every single time I see an Intel Centrino commerical, is that they act like integrated wireless connectivity is this brand new concept that Intel came up with, and that you can only get by buying a system with the Centrino chipset.

Meanwhile, my chintzy old toilet-seat iBook shipped with integrated wireless capability, and the current Mac models have 802.11g AND Bluetooth. :rolleyes:

10. legion macrumors 6502a

There isn't a disclaimer by Intel on these ads because all the locations they've chosen have wifi access. For instance, at the base camp for the final ascent to the top of Mt Everest, there is a wifi access point. This is true for the Coliseum in Rome too. These ads aren't false advertising, though they could be considered misleading as it gives the impression that you can do it from anywhere and that it'd only work with Intel Centrino. However, the truth of the matter is the access they show is real.

11. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Oh god. Get a freaking grip. I suppose the G5 has a tendency to blow people threw the wall of their house? ;) Its advertising. In 90% of the ads on TV its full of crap. Only an idiot would think they can get a signal from there. Do you really think someone watching that ad is going to go "OMG! I can go camping out in the woods and get a signal. I've going to get an Cetrino system NOW!"

Its advertising and its not as if Apple hasn't blown their ads out of proportion before.

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Also, Centrino's have longer battery life. I've got a Dell D800 Centrino at work. The computer itself is a piece of garbage (it's died on me 4 or 5 times now...go figure), however, I must admit in terms of battery life, it whoops my Powerbook. I can get 4-5 hours of continuous use out of it. If you're going with a PC, that's really the only good reason to make sure to get a Centrino. Otherwise, you're right...all Centrino means is that you're getting WiFi built in. But what computer doesn't come with WiFi nowadays???

Also, don't forget that a big reason they call it "Centrino" is because the processor being used is essentially a souped-up P3. Nobody would buy them if they were being advertised with "Pentium 3" processors when there are P4's available!

13. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

The battery life comes from the processor/chipset efficiency.

No, it means (from my previous post) a combination of a specific, Intel brand 1) Processor, 2) Chipset, 3) Wi-Fi Card. Any of those three out of spec, or from another manufacturer, and it can't be called a "Centrino" machine.

It's the Pentium M processor (755, 745, 735, 725, 715).

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

So this is the part where I tell you that Apple has more than 5% of the marketshare? You know that OS X is superior to any other operating system. I know that OS X is superior to any other operating system. 95% of the world, to me, seem like idiots. Good point about the G5 though.

500th post! :D :cool:

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes I do. ;)

I agree with Toeknee. I know lots of people (friends and family) who aren't computer techies and could very well believe that having a Centrino will allow them access from almost anywhere, or at least more places than my Mac. They're not morons, but they really do not care for new computer technology until it comes time for them to try out a new piece of software, or when they have to buy a new system.

My mom is surprised when I can't access the internet wherever I am in the entire face of the planet.

Personally, I'd rather buy a laptop listed with a Pentium M processor than one with a Centrino. That way I'll by myself a wireless card and save myself $200 in the process. :rolleyes:

16. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its their way of marketing their product aggresively, give it a name you can recall easily, and make that name even more visible by commercials that jump out at the consumer.

bweh apple has given us users that ability since 1999

17. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

My dad was under the impression that Centrino could give him internet from anywhere. I corrected him and now he does the exact opposite: he thinks everything with intetnet that doesnt have wires is WiFi. We were in hawaii using an At&T Wireless GSM Edge card in this laptop and he asked me how we were getting internet because I had told him WiFi needed a close signal and there most obviously was no such signal. Thanks a lot Intel.

Centrino is a fabulous technology as far as chip design is concerned. Make no mistakes about that.

18. Apple //e macrumors 6502

yeah, and i thought bud light tasted great and transported me to a magic world where the swedish bikini team frolicked.

damn you budweiser. im switching to corona, because they can make me fly a kite on a caribbean beach

19. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

Thats the thing Centrino is a really good chip, the battery life and performance are great but all they market is the wi-fi and unfotunately fe of the laptops they go into are anywhere near as good as the chips. Oh and did I mention the operating system they run is terrible hehe :D

So many people are so uneducated about such things that this marketing works, it seems crazy to us but thats the way it is.

20. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

that's the #1 reason toyota sells a lot of cars ;)

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Congratulations, you've just described a large portion of the windows user base.

22. Toeknee macrumors regular

Toeknee

Wow I guess I opened up a can of worms here. Oh well everyone has a good point. I guess I came off a little like "Oh those Intel weasels they are SO lying... LETS TO SUE!", just meant to say that there are loads and loads of people who aren't clear on how or what centrino or Wi Fi is. Heck my dad can't even rip a CD onto his PB. I'm pretty sure he's not gonna understand what Wi-Fi is... and being a stockholder of Intel he's gonna get all excited when he hears that famous little Intel sound, personally i've gotten sick of it. :D OH and Ford is the best in Texas (b/c TV said so) and Its ALLLWAYS truck month.

23. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

You mean you want Dothan (2nd gen) right? Centrino used the 1st generation Pentium M processor, the Banias.