Intel Centrino in iBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by andyduncan, Jul 15, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

according to the New York Times Apple uses an Intel Centrino chip (as if it was a single chip anyway) in their iBooks.

The article clearly shows an iBook with safari opened to the centrino website. Along with a caption that states the notebook "uses Intel's Centrino chip."

lol. I bet that McDonald's is right next to a tobacco field as well...

2. macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

3. macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, the iBook uses an IBM G3. I'm sure this is just bad use of stock images. Remember when Gateway used a PowerBook with their display ads?

Or someone just makes a laptop that looks remarkably similar.

edit: just looked at the Intel site, and the Centrino part, didn't see what you were talking about.

4. macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I didn't read the article, since I don't want to sign up just to read a NYT article, but it seems that the error was just in the article itself, and not on Intel's Centrino page. So I wouldn't look on the Centrino page for the error.

edit: I ended up signing up anyway, and reading the article, and like others here have mentioned, there's no sign of the iBook or Apple.

5. macrumors regular

pretentious

I don't see the pic in the NYT link, nor does it mention Apple or the iBooks.

So what are you talking about?

6. macrumors regular

This is what he is talking about.......

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 604

MacBandit

Centrino is not the processor. The Centrino name describes the combination of the Intel Pentium-M, the chipset, and an 802.11 card. When all these are put together then the laptop can have the Centrino designation. In other words it doesn't mean anything. You can buy a Pentium-M laptop with the same chipset and without an 802.11 card for much less and then buy your own 802.11 card and have the exact same machine for less money.

Most likely the 802.11 card they use is the same as Apples and that is why they are saying the G3 uses a part of the Centrino hardware.

8. macrumors 603

solvs

Um, yeah, I knew that. I was agreeing with the author of this thread.

The NYT screwed up, but as I didn't want to sign up with them (and misunderstood the post), I went to Intels site to see if it was in their pics. I thought THEY screwed it up. Now upon seeing this pic, I see what he meant.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Apple does use Intel networking chips, but the iBook can, in no way, be called Centrino by any means.

9. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

They got rid of the image.

Attached Files:

10. Das
    macrumors regular

Speaking of type-o's, I just got the new Dell brochure and it shocases their new thin laptop, only 8" thin!

11. macrumors 65816

Wow!
    That's about half the viewing size of a 15" PB, heh, who carse about that when you can get a computer that's as thick as the person making it...

12. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The articles also look different.

Hmmm.....screwy. :confused:

13. macrumors 68040

tazo

lol don't you love professional typos? I was on the toshiba website looking around and that new toshiba 17'' laptop, comes with a unbelievable 60 mb hard drive :) i was kind enough to email them about it :)

14. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

What pisses me off about typos is that there's always a disclaimer that says, "Not responsible for typographical errors." Last year at Staples I saw a display up selling the Palm m105 for $64. My dad and I had both been wanting a Palm so we checked into it. There were none in stock but they called us when they came in. Come they did. The first one (dad's) arrived about a week later (don't get me started about Staples' warehousing policy) at the advertised price. The next one that came in was reserved for me and arrived a week and a half later. At that point, one of the higher-ups realized they had sold dad's for $64 and told me that I couldn't get mine for less than $90 (which was the proper price). What BS.

15. macrumors regular

There's no way Centrino is in an iBook. Centrino requires the Intel Pentium-M processor, the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Wi-Fi Radio, and the Intel 855 Chipset. NYT just took a picture of someone using a notebook wirelessly at McDonald's and assumed it was a notebook using Centrino technology. This is no biggie.

16. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nah, they probably just wanted a "nice" looking notebook to be in the picture. ;)

17. macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Yeah and there are three words for this...

New

York

Times.

Enough said. :cool:

18. macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Not to be a pervert or anything (as if I'm not) but someone could really take that the wrong way.:eek:

19. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Comeon man, they are more honest, that goes on ALL the time the New York Times just stood its ground and was reputable.

20. macrumors 65816

Are you a pervert :D
    Nah, you'd have to be really thick :D

21. macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

well speaking as aphotographer i think that perhaps the person who was told to shoot this was simply told "we need a shot of a laptop using wireless internet for our wireless story" so the photographer delivered and it went to "press" its good to see that the error has been fixed but does it really matter, most users wouldent recognise that as being an ibook running osx they would look at it as being a computer in macdonalds surfing the web.
    edit: at least their using safari :D

22. macrumors 6502a

That's not a typo.

23. macrumors 6502a

celaurie

A mix-up with stock photos or wishful thinking on behalf of Intel!?

24. Gus
    macrumors 65816

Gus

Actually, the way I understand it, Centrino IS a chipset. That is why it was such a big deal, and in order for a manufacturer like Dell to put the label on it, it MUST have the new chipset. That is why the battery life is so much better, and the clock speeds are different than just the regular Pentium-M chipset.

Regards,
    Gus

25. macrumors 65816

mrjamin

NTL advertise their 1 megabit broadband as 1 megabyte.