Intel chips get power boost

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Feb 3, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full Article.

Apple, hurry up and get that G5 to 3GHz! :D

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

At first I was thinking, not again, another speed bump. But, this is a good thing. I am sure IBM and Apple will not be able to just sit around. I hope we see Dual 3's pretty soon. (Crosses fingers)

3. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Gawd....me too! The only logical explanation behind not releasing dual 2.6's in January is an early release of dual 3ghz'ers. August be damned! I bet they come in early March. (2.6 2.8 3.0)

(Crossing fingers too!)

4. Rincewind42 macrumors 6502a

Rincewind42

My current theory is that they are adding enough to the design to require Mac OS X 10.3.3. The fact that this oddly aligns with Mac OS Rumors should not be taken as a bad sign (contrary to what I usually believe :p ) as I thought of it first :D .

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Apple needs to "Kick it up a Notch"... like right now.

The prescott is gonna kick serious ass, I'd watch the hell out apple.

New Dualies anyday apple... anyday.

6. ltgator333 macrumors member

It doesn't impress me much

Nope. I don't think this core is that much better than Northwood really. The one thing that stands out to me is that they've doubled the L2 cache size, which Intel has historicly undersized they're L2 cache sizes, and that makes this pattern even more obvious at least to me when it comes to that- when a chip maker needs a quick speed boost to hold on for a bit until they're real improvements come in they do this. Motorola did it when they knew they weren't going to be able to come with drastic clock speed increases and added the L3 cache. When Intel pushed the northwood P4 to 3Ghz, AMD responded with the Barton core in there Athlon XP/MP chips to compensate until Opteron/Athlon 64 came out, which most notably included a bigger on-die L2 cache and a slightly faster clock. Intel has been quiet, sure all Intel seems to know how to really do is crank the Ghz through the roof, but it's becoming obvious with AMD holding pace performance wise and sitting at a mere 2.2Ghz, and IBM staying in the game at only 2Ghz (come on IBM I wanna see 2.6Ghz!!!), that they need something more than a couple hundred Mhz to stay on top of things. I think Intel is thinking really hard on what to do, and Prescott is just a time buyer.
    And even at that, when Intel comes up with something decent, it could be just another thing like ooh remember that chip they make for servers.. ooh yeah Itanium... (aka underperforming power hog, or hey at least it keeps the room warm...)

7. Edot macrumors 6502

Where is it?

So where is this on Intel's site? There is no release date? I don't understand. Where is all of the info on this thing? The link supplied is very vague, we got much more info on the G5 almost a year before it was scheduled to be released. When is this going to be released. The article says it already has been, but why wouldn't Intel have this on their website? Can someone answer these questions?

8. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Prescott is not an impressive core. If I were Apple I would be more worried about AMD's lineup as its kicking the pants off the new P4's in basically everything.

In fact, I am getting an Athlon 64 FX-53 when it comes out, which is quite a monster of a chip. (No G5 though).

Then again, the Athlon 64 is manufactured by IBM, so is the G5. Maybe Intel needs to start getting IBM to manufacture its chips for it. ;)

p.s. Can't wait for the upgraded G5's. :)

9. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I think i can answer this. Intel has only really sent review samples to sites like Firingsquad.com or tomshardware.com

That is how they can get to review a product before it is even close to hitting the streets.

I too was a bit baffled by the Pentium 4 3.4Ghz's sudden appearance on pricewatch. But then a day later, a few hardware review sites have articles up.

I'm wondering if IBM and AMD are timing they chip releases with one another. This is because the two technologies, Opteron and 970FX are so different, yet running at close to the same top speed...

Tag team effort against intel? :)

*mj_1903: Wait for the 939's. Unless you really need a chip right now, its worth the wait :)

10. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

This is true. The new 3.4Ghz P4 is VERY SLOW, it is even slower than the old 3.2Ghz P4.

Intel increased the pipeline to like 30 or 40 which is very long!!

Here is a link to comparisions with other chips:

Intel's Prescott, Intel's Extreme Edition, and AMD's Athlon 64 3400+