Intel compatable w/ OS 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by brobson, Dec 25, 2006.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

Just got a Midi controller pad for my son for Christmas.
    It won't work on his intel mac mini! It says it will work for OS X or OS 9 but when we tried to install it, it said only os 9. So we tried to install OS 9.2.9 but it said we needed OS 9 because this was an update. So I did a search to find OS 9 and it said it wouldn't work w/ intel.

Are we just out of options?

I thought of installing bootcamp which we will because it works for windows but his music is on garage band and that's what he wants to use the controller pad for, making beats.

Thanks
    Brenda

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

have you tried just using it with garageband without the software?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's what I'd recommend also.... Even if you could run the Classic (OS 9) environment on an Intel mac, it still would be a sandbox just like Bootcamp is -- that is, the device, working inside Classic, would not be able to talk to GarageBand any more than it would if you were running it in Windows.

4. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

what exactly is the device? make and model, if the above doesn't work it might give some leads :)

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I would also check the manufacturer's site for an OS X driver, if you do in fact need one.

6. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

7. Deputy-Dawg macrumors member

If you had taken and used "Akai MPD16" as searck terms in google and sort of followed your nose it would have led you to the Akai support page below which has a downloadable utility for Mac OS X (PPC and Intel):

http://www.akaipro.com/supportos.php#MPD16

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Don't get snotty, she's just trying to help her son. ;)

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It appears there are no drivers on the manufacturer's site.

Click the spotlight icon top right, and type in audio midi setup

[​IMG]

Press enter. This should bring up a window which looks like this:

[​IMG]

Click MIDI Devices at the top of the window.

[​IMG]

Click Add Device. A wizard should then guide you through setting up your MIDI surface.

Report back if you have any more issues :) You shouldn't need to install drivers...

10. Deputy-Dawg macrumors member

But there is an installation utility!!!!!

http://www.akaipro.com/software/OS/MPD16/mpd16_mac_utility.dmg

Download it, it could be useful. In addition to the installation utility there is a PDF copy of the users manual on the .dmg.

I admit I know next to nothing about midi devices and or their drivers but apparently the utility provides some necessary mapping to the device that is useful, if not absoulutely necessary for it to be used completely.

BTW I was not trying to be snide or snotty when I sugessted the use of a Google search for the utility. In the information age we all must learn to use all of the tools available or we are simply going to bog down hopelessly. I was simply trying to demonstrate that she had all the tools needed to solve her problem. She only needs to learn to use them. Sort of like in the old Irish proverb "Give a man a fish and you feed him today, give a man a fish hook and you feed him for life." I'd much rather give out fish hooks but I will give away fish as well. The link above is a fish. How to find it is the fish hook.

11. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

We will try this utility

I actually did do a Google search and it took me to their website and the company is in Singapore or something, I couldn't even find the Midi unit on their site.
    So I guess I shouldve kept trying.
    The spotlight, wizard midi set up didn't work. We plugged it in and turned it on but the new device never appeared. I clicked new device and nothing happened.

I'll try this and get back to you. Thanks ALL!:eek:

12. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Thanks so much! It worked. The thing is now that when my son plays it there is a time delay before he hears it in Garage band
    He will keep poking around but if there's any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Thanks Again Deputy and all!