Intel compatible USB->Serial?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by balamw, Apr 10, 2006.

1. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Now that I'm down to one non-Mac in the house, I need to be able to talk to the occasional RS-232 device, so I'm looking for a USB to Serial adapter. I'd mainly use it on the iBook, but would like to make sure it's supported on the iMac in OS X and not just in Boot Camp XP.

Stopped at Fry's on the way home and saw a wide range of devices available, the two from reputable brands were from Iogear and Keyspan, both were among the most expensive at $29 and $39 respectively.

Keyspan has beta drivers for Intel Macs on their website, which gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that they at least intend to support their product on those machines, but I'm not sure that it's worth the extra $10.

Anyone have any USB->RS-232 adapters to recommend?

2. riverrat macrumors newbie

Apr 18, 2006
    USB PDA/Serial Adapter(s)

Try the Keyspan unit. The Beta drivers seem to be working on my MacBook Pro. But I'm also using a another program called MacWise to log onto Cisco HW via the Keyspan USB PDA/Serial Adapter. I tried the IOGear "USB PDA/Serial Adapter (GUC232A)" but could never get to work with my old G4 powerbook.

Hope that help,