Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
gnasher729 said:
With things like this, my rule is: If you have to ask, then you can't do it :-(

It is one thing to try these things with a cheap MacMini, especially if your goal is not to have a faster MacMini, but an impressive webpage. Risking a $2000 MacBook Pro is quite another thing. Better to sell your MacBook/MacBook Pro on eBay and buy a new one.

i cant wait to do this to my mac mini. i bought the core solo with the intention of upgrading the chip myself (once i heard core 2 was pin to pin compatible) but my question now is does anyone know if the version shipping is still pin to pin compatible???!?!?!

thogs_cave

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
State of Confusion
Chaszmyr said:
All of the reviews of the Core 2 Duo say that it crushes AMD in the desktop arena. This is good news

This week, anyhow. This stuff goes back-and-forth like a tennis match.

I don't know if it's a good thing or not, it just is. I prefer AMD on the whole, as I like their design philosophy. But, I'm totally happy with the Intel chip in my MacBook. Whatever works. I find as I get older, the same computers get faster while I just get slower. :D

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Does anyone know what the maximum size is for a laptop drive is likely to be at the end of August? In other words, predict what Apple will put in a top spec Merom 15" MBP. I want to at least double the 80 GB in my PBG4.

Will MBP get a redesign? New keyboard that doesn't mark my screen perhaps? (BTW, I know nobody can actually give the answers to these questions...)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bigmc6000 said:
Good Lord - does anybody know what the G5 is? I'd imagine that the elaborate cooling system in the current G5 towers probably won't be needed it it's running anything like the D's...

According to this article, a single, single core 2.0GHz 970FX consumes 12-45W, with an average consumption around 25.... An iMac G5 containing onesuch processor consumes about 90W altogether.

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
finger on the trigger

I am just waiting to pull the trigger and get myself a 20"er. Hurry up with those chips Mr Jobs. Ah and where has the wireless mouse/kbd option gone in the store? Maybe they will be free with the upgraded iMacs. :p

What a world away from the G5 iMacs these beasts will be. Still when (not if) they are out I will prob. start waiting for the chinless 23" wonder - my ideal requirement.

Must hold out...

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Well there's always going to be some die-hard PPC and Core Duo users who will vote negative on this story :p

Well Apple, get those Core 2 Duos in the iMacs and MacBook Pros, and a Woodcrest... No... 2 Woodcrests in the Mac Pros.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
BBC B 32k said:
Ah and where has the wireless mouse/kbd option gone in the store? Maybe they will be free with the upgraded iMacs.

According to the bluetooth mighty mouse info at apple.com, you still need a wired keyboard and mouse to install the thing. When you went for the wireless option before, did you get a wired keyboard too?

Also, are there any how-to guides for upgrading Yonah iMacs to Merom?

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
Great, but we need the obligatory...

out-of-focus photos of boxes in elevators and poorly photo-shopped renditions of casings...

The only problem is that Apple will have to be on the ball with upgrades so as not to loose the speed war against other intel machines (running Windows unfortunately) but we will all want the latest and fastest processors in the line-up even if we are not in the market for a new computer...

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Eidorian said:

hate to be repetative, but this tells me what i already know.

Merom is pin compatible the Yonah's current socket.

but the quesiton comes with this line:

Still, this hasn't prevent users from installing prototype and engineering samples of the chips in Macs

Does anyone know if the chips that are actually shipping are the same as the prototype chips?

again, sorry for the repatition, but id really like to drop one of these in my mini and dont want to find out AFTER i tear apart the mini that the new chips wont fit!

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Sorry if i missed it, but at what speeds do these run? Don't they know just because they keep bumping and bumping the chip speed don't really mean they have a faster system. Seem just like yesterday when a better design was more important than a super fast chip. Oh well, everyone is buying into the Mhz myth now. Funny that just a year or so ago, Apple was trying to shoot down the Mhz myth, now they have people cheering for it. I guess power consumption is good though.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
bigmc6000 said:
"...Core 2 Duo chips need less electricity, drawing just 65 watts compared to the Pentium 4’s 95 watts and Pentium D’s 130 watts"

Good Lord - does anybody know what the G5 is? I'd imagine that the elaborate cooling system in the current G5 towers probably won't be needed it it's running anything like the D's...

And about the WWDC, I think it is possible for Merom laptops, Core 2 iMacs, Leopard Preview, Mac Pro's and possibly Movie service. However, I think the movie thing could be replaced by a larger capacity nano but that's about it. Only 1, at most, iTunes/iPod announcement with all the Mac stuff that should be addressed.

100watts @ 2.5 GHz on the MP970 90mm fab.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
jaxstate said:
Sorry if i missed it, but at what speeds do these run? Don't they know just because they keep bumping and bumping the chip speed don't really mean they have a faster system. Seem just like yesterday when a better design was more important than a super fast chip. Oh well, everyone is buying into the Mhz myth now. Funny that just a year or so ago, Apple was trying to shoot down the Mhz myth, now they have people cheering for it. I guess power consumption is good though.

If you read the linked articled you will find the answer.

Also, right from the macrumors page is a quote that says, "Core 2 Duo runs at slower clock speeds than Pentium-era chips, but is still more productive because it handles more calculations per clock cycle." I think that would show that this has nothing to do with the Mhz myth but is the opposite.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
nice. :) I'm predicting no MBPs at WWDC, just mac pros, leopard preview, and maybe new displays. MBPs will be quietly updated with Merom a week or two later and start shipping soon after that.

unless there's a new case design (which I doubt) - if there is, Steve would have something impressive to show up on stage.

ctachme

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
SteveRichardson said:
MBPs the end of august? I START school in the end of august.

ughghghghghghg

Me too. I'm just going to hang onto my aging iBook G4 until they come out. I really would kick myself if I bought a MacBook Pro now so close to them being updated. I'm just hoping I can order soon, and then they will arrive at the end of August... just in time for school. *crosses fingers*

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Chaszmyr said:
All of the reviews of the Core 2 Duo say that it crushes AMD in the desktop arena. This is good news, now we just need new iMacs, MacBook Pros, and Mac Pros.

And minis.

I'm guessing we get the towers at WWDC and probably meroms in the macbook. Most if not all the other models will get updates, but they can't do them all at once, I'd bet they'll follow up with separate announcements in a few weeks.

Chundles said:
Core 3 will be out before Vista is. I'm going to call it now.

Well, duh. That's already pretty much been announced. Vista will be next year, and quad core intel chips are supposed to be out before the end of the year.

pherplexed said:
wasn't this announced last friday?

Yeah. But today, it happened.

wPod said:
Does anyone know if the chips that are actually shipping are the same as the prototype chips?

YES! That's the whole point of a prototype.

jaxstate said:

You really need to read about this...these chips are just a little higher clock speed. But they have a 20%+ boost at the same clock speed. They ARE making better chip designs instead of just bumping clock speed. Intel/Apple is actually doing pretty much the opposite of what you accuse them of doing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.