Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.6 GHz X7800 Announced

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 16, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Intel today introduced the first mobile "Extreme" branded processor, the X7800, clocked at 2.6 GHz. What's more, Intel has removed over-clocking restrictions, allowing OEM manufacturers or enthusiasts to eek additional power out of the chip if so desired.

Apple currently uses Intel's Core 2 Duo chips at speeds up to 2.4 GHz (the previous top speed) in its MacBook Pro, MacBook, and iMac computers. There is no hard evidence yet that Apple will use Intel's latest chip in its computers.

Intel also announced a new desktop processor today, however the announcement does not look to have much bearing on the Apple community, as Apple has continually eschewed Intel's Desktop products in favor of Intel's less power hungry mobile products or more powerful workstation/server Xeons.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2003
    Will this feed into the ultra portable rumors?
  3. macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2006
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    My thought was maybe that these will go into the MBPs and then the current SR processors will enter the MacBook. Thoughts on that?
  5. macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I wonder if all those people that were complaining that we didn't have new MacBooks are now upset that we got them before the new chips came out. It seems like people are never happy around here.

6. macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    It would be great for apple to start using some of Intel's desktop chips.

I am sick of laptop chips in Imacs. Yes they may be ok enough for Mac Minis, but Apple needs to offer up a mid sized tower or imac that has more power than a laptop.

To hold back on power just so they have a small form is very annoying.

Also, this chip would be a mobile chip, so i wouldn't believe they would hold back, instead probably offer it as an option on their highest end macbook pro's.

Apple, cmon, please offer desktop extreme chips in a mid sized upgradable tower!!
  7. macrumors member

Jun 4, 2006
    Yeah, but in what? A headless 'Mac Midi' would be great but where would that sit with iMacs and MacPros?
  8. macrumors 6502

Jan 26, 2004
    What does the "Extreme" mean? Is it just some arbitrary marketing that means "fast and cool so you want to buy it!"? Or does it actually reflect some type of change on the chip...
  9. macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    I think it is for mbp just because they're so bloody hot as is. Can't imagine more heat. But they were just updated so I don't see this happening so soon. But you might count them in the new iMacs if they're not already in production
  10. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    both. Its a marketing term that Intel has used on its desktop line, and is now using on the high-end of mobile line. There is some hardware distinction, mainly the higher clock speed and the ability to overclock.
  11. macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Probaby not, it'll get too hot and require too much power :(
  12. macrumors 6502a

k2k koos

Jan 21, 2003
    Somewhere between yesterday and tomorrow
    Great stuff....

Okay, okay, here it comes.... drumroll please!

...will this fit in an iPhone ? :eek:

........sorry, couldn't help it, I'd seen this kind of nonsense in so many of our threads here in the past, I thought it was becoming a cult of it's own.

There, now that the iThingy has been mentioned, lets swiftly move on.

I hope that Apple releases a system that fits between the Mac Pro and the iMac, sort of mini tower, that could use these processors. Or let's move the new iMac, revamped Mac mini away from Mobile components where ever possible, and squeeze some of these processors in where possible (granted, probably not in a Mac mini, but 'd love to see that updated, please Apple, DONT kill the Mac mini!:apple:
  13. macrumors 6502

Apr 27, 2007
    I wouldn't be surprised to see these go in MBPs ... as a simple mid-cycle bump ... no fanfare, etc.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Aug 3, 2004

Can I have one of these in my new iMac please?
  15. macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    I too am getting tired of a weak mobile chip in an iMac.

Apple should layout the line with the following:

Dual Core mobile chip:
    MacBook Pro

Quad Core mobile or desktop chip:

Dual Quad Core desktop chips:
    Mac Pro

Also, how is it that everyone is happy with Intel releasing chips with max speeds that are at the same number as 3 years ago? This chipset maxes out at 2.6??? I know that they are doing more with these chips by making them multi-cored and tweaking the FSB, but come on.... Imagine what someone would say if they could have looked into today's world from 5 years ago. They were peaking at 1.8-2.0 back then.

It's not always about performance, a lot of it has to do with simply how the numbers look from the outside.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    SURE CAN!!!!

As long as you don't mind the fact that making a phone call will be the same as putting a hot iron against your face!
  17. macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
    Castle Rock, Colorado
    The extreme chips allow for manual over-clocking of the cpu core. They also usually run hotter and are less stable as a result of forcing the chip to the "extreme" of what it is capable of. I have played with a few of the extreme processors over the years, and they are faster, but in my experience far less stable. I would prefer that apple stay with more stable and reliable chips that operate well within there performance range.
  18. Editor emeritus

Jul 10, 2003
    Falls Church, VA
    You know... I was thinking that they wouldn't be able to fit the top of the line 3 GHz Xeons in the 1U XServe when they were released, but they did. Apple tends to surprise us.

That being said, it still would surprise me if this caliber of chip landed in an ultraportable. Definitely in a 17" and/or 15" though, or iMac.
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 4, 2007
    You could use Apple's bluetooth headset. :p
  20. macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2006
    Honolulu, HI
    More awesme chips are on the way... Intel-August here we come!
  21. macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2005
    Castle Rock, Colorado
    With fewer bottle necks, less CPU cycles, and higher bus, and interface bandwidths these chips are far faster than chips from 5 years ago. A good analogy would be a lawnmower engine versus a truck engine. They may both operate at 4500 RPM (revolutions per minute) but you will achive far more power and flow through in the truck engine even though the engines turn at the same speed.
  22. macrumors 68020

Jun 27, 2006
    MA, USA
    I do not think that Apple uses any of the extreme chips (too hot), so I think it is unlikely.

Maybe in iMac.
  23. macrumors newbie

May 7, 2002
    Princeton, NJ
    System bus

The Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 quad-core processor would be even cooler if it had a 1337 MHz system bus. ;)
  24. macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I'd really like to see the 2.6 extreme go into the new iMacs. At the slight power consumption increase, that shouldn't mean much to a desktop or much in the way of heat. It would be nice to see these in 24" iMacs, at least as a BTO option, only problem is that if they are not pin-compatible to the SR C2Ds, then they can't offer 2.2 base and 2.4, 2.6 options. However, if they can ideally we would see:

2.2Ghz SR maybe with 2.4 option

2.4Ghz SR with 2.6Ghz Extreme option

and don't hold your breath, but a
    same 2.4Ghz SR with 2.6Ghz Extreme options would be awesome.
  25. macrumors 68000

I don't care what the question is...the answer is More Power!

If iMacs were released with this chip, then your new iMac would obsolete as it has the older chip. :D But are you asking if this would be swapable with the older SR chip? I'm actually wondering the same thing. Is this new chip pin compatible? How about with Core 2 Duos and Core Duos?