Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

studiomeridian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
I've been reading up on articles on the Intel iMac G5...especially the ones where they dissect the iMac (why anyone would do that is beyond me)...and I was thinking...will the Intel iMac G5 be processor upgradeable? I don't know if this question's been answered yet...but I'd sure like to know. Anyone have any answers?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
We know that it's in a socket and could be replaced. We don't know if the Mac will allow a different CPU to run properly. One of the stumbling blocks is that there really aren't any newer processors to try out :) The other problem is that no one seems to have figured out how to get into the firmware to configure stuff yet.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
studiomeridian said:
I've been reading up on articles on the Intel iMac G5...especially the ones where they dissect the iMac (why anyone would do that is beyond me)...and I was thinking...will the Intel iMac G5 be processor upgradeable? I don't know if this question's been answered yet...but I'd sure like to know. Anyone have any answers?

I highly doubt that Apple will ever integrate a processor that isnt permenantly tied to the firmware and addressing of the board, so upgradable depends then on how much you like re-wiring micro-electronics... :p

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
Sunrunner said:
I highly doubt that Apple will ever integrate a processor that isnt permenantly tied to the firmware and addressing of the board, so upgradable depends then on how much you like re-wiring micro-electronics... :p

I don't understand why they do this. It would be a great thing if Apple made all their products more upgradeable. I mean, most if not all PC manufacturers offer upgradeable processers, everything. And all you have to do is take the cover off and loosen some screws. It seems like on the Mac, most of the parts are permanently tied to the system, and therefore unupgradeable. :(

studiomeridian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
Thanks for the reply, guys! I hope Apple does move toward upgradeability...although I doubt it. Apple would stand to lose so much revenue from people like me, wanting to simply upgrade a chip as opposed to purchasing a whole new computer system altogether. I'm seriously considering buying an Intel iMac but I'm so hesitant, thinking that Apple will come out with a 3+ Ghz iMac within a year! I guess I'm just saying that I'd feel a lot better knowing that I can have the option of upgrading the cpu when the time came.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
iMeowbot said:
One of the stumbling blocks is that there really aren't any newer processors to try out :)

Yes, there is. The Duo currently goes up to 2GHz and 2.16GHz.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Airforce said:
Yes, there is. The Duo currently goes up to 2GHz and 2.16GHz.
See, that's doesn't tell us anything, because the iMac already has a 2.0, and the 2.16s aren't out there on the shelves in boxed versions to try out.

Part of me is very excited at the prospect of an easily upgradable chip. It would be really sweet if the MacBook Pro could have its processor easily upgraded. From the pictures it does not appear that the processor is soldered in. All it might take is some creative coding in the BIOS, and some know how of hardware to get it to work.

Imagine the Possibilities.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Looks like a ZIF socket of any other PC with the core duo.
I'm going to presume that it is upgradable, I mean I'll wait for the evidence before I start assuming that apple is trying to stop people from upgrading, I don't consider that the most likely situation. I mean it's pretty standard intel hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.