intel: dare they risc dropping the cisc

Discussion in 'Community' started by kuyu, Sep 16, 2003.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

It is widely hypothesized that sometime in 2004, Intel's cisc based Pentium line will become so hot that increases in speed are all but impossible. To combat this Intel is developing consumer versions of their risc based server processors, dubbed itanium. The latest specs I can find on the CONSUMER version put the itanium at about 800 Mhz with serious overclocking. However, heat still seems to be an issue because of intel's under-use of the GPU.

Do you guys out there believe that Intel can still be a player in the chip game if they hit this wall? After all, their market share is based on the Mhz myth, which would dissapear with the demise of the cisc chip.

FYI- Apple switched to risc chips in 1994, so mac has an 8 year headstart on Intel!

2. Alte22a macrumors 6502

I guess Intel has financial backup, they just need to know how to invest in resources and technology, oh and marketing.

3. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

You know what's sad, is that if Intel were to do an about-face on the megahertz issue, folks would buy it and suddenly say that Macs can't be any good because they have too many MHz.

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Well, I think we all kind of suspected that Intel couldn't prop up 50-year-old computing technology much longer - time to go to the 20-year old.

I'm curious about Microsoft. Is this why Longhorn is so vaporiffic?

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

HaHa, true, but it still would be a step forward. Longhorn=vaporware ;) (dont we wish)

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think Intel will have competitive chips for at least the next couple of years.

Just speculation though. People have overclocked Intel processors up to amazing frequencies. Intel will be able to push the x86 to really high frequencies (4.5Ghz probably) before they hit this wall.

And by that time they will have discovered a cheap alternative to the pentium.

scem0

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

AMD will have an opteron that only dissipates 30 watts... Far less than any comparable Intel chip...

I like how the 1ghz IBM 750 only dissipates 8 watts...

8. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-scem0

Very true - but then these would be water cooled. I really am uncomfortable about water near my electronics - especially expensive ones.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im sure they will be able to make it plenty safe.

Maybe all computers that come with intel cpus will also come with little computer sized refrigerators that you can place your computer in :).

scem0

scem0

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Intel is massive. and with all of their financial backing i can't see them going out of business or anything. i'm sure they'll always remain competitive in the processor market.

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

The simple truth is that Intel has about 5 years until they hit a barrier that they won't be able to pass. It all should be about better architechtures at the moment since Moore's law will evaporate in the next decade. Unless Intel can whip up a viable quantum chipset in the next decade then they will have to stop worrying about jamming transistors and start worrying about processor architechture. IBM may be able to leave Intel in the dust if they all stay on their current paths.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Within ten years, I think that the entire computing industry is going to have to go through a revolution of some kind. First of all, computers are now lasting waaaayyyy longer than they used to. I did a good deal of FCP 3 work on a 2 and a half year old 400Mhz G4 PBook over the summer, and it worked very well. I know that the new 15in AluBook I'm purchasing will last through my college years and beyond, and still sell decently when I have a job and am able to afford a new Apple in 5 or 6 years. I don't know if it's good for the computer industry, but computers are lasting longer than ever before. I mean, my buddy is running OS X on an old 333 Wallstreet and it is still rather snappy. Computers are accelerating in performance much faster than programmers can utilize the new speeds, and I think that this is great for consumers, and will help software companies because if you know you won't have to buy a new computer every other year, you'll be more likely to drop the cash on a piece of software, or some other perophrial for your machine.

Now if only inkjet cartridges didn't cost more than the printers...:rolleyes: