Intel Delays 4Ghz P4

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by robbieduncan, Jul 30, 2004.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Intel Delays 4Ghz P4

Looks like IBM have some company! Everyone is struggling with ongoing clockspeed increases.

2. Zaty macrumors 65816

Let's hope IBM can deliver 3GHz chips by the time the 4GHz P4 is launched. It would be interesting to see how a dual 3GHz performas against a 4GHz P4 system.

3. sonyrules macrumors regular

This is not a suprise, Thier probley are having problems with heat.. It would be great to pump the heat that thing generates to heat my house in the winter time, Might be worth buying..

4. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Moores law stuck in gridlock

Gordon Moore will be sweating and wishing he'd kept his mouth shut, everybody seems to be breaking his "law" these days. Anyone seen any recent charts of processor speed over time, I think the "doubling every two years" thing has slipped a bit lately on ALL fronts.

Please, tell me the dream hasn't died.

Bring on those quantum processors, I gotta be able to read my emails faster (or better still, read them all simultaneously, its a quantum processor after all) :)

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

They'll be faster, oh yes, they will be faster.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I should bloody well hope so, 2x3GHz 64Bit should be faster than single 4GHz 32Bit (it would have to be single, P4's cannot be multi-processor).

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I dont know...my dual 2ghz G5 still doesnt seem quite as fast as a single 3ghz P4...but thats a 2/3 ratio (33% faster clock), which is larger than a 3/4 (25% faster clock).

And its not a graphic card issue or a ram issue. (though the G5 only has 1 gb, and I know it only really starts to shine at 2) But both systems have relatively same specs, and the P4 renders a bit faster, and feels a smidge more responsive.

---

On another note, computers are still slow if you think about it. A basic (under 3 grand) computer still cant do uncompressed full motion video in real time, software rendering is still the best way to go (where's my renderman on a chip?), and I could go on. Hopefully in 10 years computers will finally be fast enough where there will be nearly zero wait time, regardless of the task we're performing.

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

HA! Yeah, maybe in ten years the things we do now with computers will be zero wait time, but by then the demands on computers will increase, so we will be in the same situation we have now. The more power computers achieve the more people want out of them, so programmers will always write programs that will take advantage of future hardware.

It's a great hope, but I don't think there will ever be zero wait time for every forseeable task for any computer in the future, some yes, all no.

9. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Well yeah, thats true. But since my brain is constantly in 3D animation mode, I was thinking about fully-rendered 4096x3072-real-time multi-simulation animation, without software rendering. That would be amazing. 10 years is a lofty goal for that type thing. Siggraph 2014 might be pretty interesting though...

10. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Yes, but have you tried the "Gaussian Blur Test?" :D

Hehehe, Macs + Photoshop = p0wn.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Interestingly enough, this c|net article says that Dell has actually removed the chip as an option from at least one of their machines, and the gaming machine they sell that still lists it as an option lists a 45 day wait along with it.

Goes to show that, just as Apple can't really help it when they run out of their fastest chips, neither can the many-times-larger Dell.

Reality sucks sometimes.