Intel Focuses on 'Dual-Core' Chips

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Penman, May 7, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Jan 27, 2004
    Just off the Wires...

This seems like big news to me. I've been saying that I think the new PB's should/will be multi-processor as it's an easier route to power than single bigger chips (i.e. 3-4 G4 cores working faster together than a single, higher clocked G5). I'm not a chip designe expert but what do those who are think this means for Apple? Surely if Wintel portables are dual core they'll have a speed/power advantage over single core mobile chips Apple can't ignore.
  2. macrumors G4

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Absolutely! That's why Apple's got IBM on their side, right? IBM (and maybe Freescale) can work on getting their PowerPC implementations dual-core enabled to compete with Intel. Then, Apple will do the same thing to their dual-processor desktops. This allows for some new changes to Apple's PowerMac line: the introduction of quad-CPU Macs (two processors, two cores per processor). The low-end PowerMacs get dual cores, the Powerbooks also get dual cores, the top-end iMac might also get dual cores, and the eMac/iBook remain single-core, single-CPU.
  3. macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
  4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002