Intel Focuses on 'Dual-Core' Chips

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Penman, May 7, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Just off the Wires...

This seems like big news to me. I've been saying that I think the new PB's should/will be multi-processor as it's an easier route to power than single bigger chips (i.e. 3-4 G4 cores working faster together than a single, higher clocked G5). I'm not a chip designe expert but what do those who are think this means for Apple? Surely if Wintel portables are dual core they'll have a speed/power advantage over single core mobile chips Apple can't ignore.

2. macrumors demi-god

wrldwzrd89

Absolutely! That's why Apple's got IBM on their side, right? IBM (and maybe Freescale) can work on getting their PowerPC implementations dual-core enabled to compete with Intel. Then, Apple will do the same thing to their dual-processor desktops. This allows for some new changes to Apple's PowerMac line: the introduction of quad-CPU Macs (two processors, two cores per processor). The low-end PowerMacs get dual cores, the Powerbooks also get dual cores, the top-end iMac might also get dual cores, and the eMac/iBook remain single-core, single-CPU.

3. macrumors 68000

e-coli

Where's the link?

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked