Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
I love my second Mac, a core solo mini. Mac OS X was qutie a surprise because my previous mac was a PowerPC running System 8.6. I'm quite impressed, and considering hitting myself for not upgrading sooner.

Contrary to what others say, I think it runs very quickly. Webrowsing, email, various mussic related tasks, and even photoshop seem to run faster than they ever did on my PPC. Only thing is, the Microsoft Applications, Word and Messenger run painfully slow are really cramping my style (quite litteraly).

Anyone know of universal word processor/msn compatable IM thats out yet? Something to tide me over until I can fork out more cash for extra RAM..

iDuck

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
iDuck said:
I love my second Mac, a core solo mini. Mac OS X was qutie a surprise because my previous mac was a PowerPC running System 8.6. I'm quite impressed, and considering hitting myself for not upgrading sooner.

Contrary to what others say, I think it runs very quickly. Webrowsing, email, various mussic related tasks, and even photoshop seem to run faster than they ever did on my PPC. Only thing is, the Microsoft Applications, Word and Messenger run painfully slow are really cramping my style (quite litteraly).

Anyone know of universal word processor/msn compatable IM thats out yet? Something to tide me over until I can fork out more cash for extra RAM..

iDuck

For Messenger you can use iChat. It is kindof convoluted and hard to setup but you can make it work through Jabber messaging. See the link:

http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/

For a word processor I would recommend Pages. iWork is a great value for what you get but it takes some getting used to but I actually like it alot after using it for six months. It takes a while to figure out where a feature is but the end results are better looking documents than word. You can right click and customize the toolbar and that makes Pages a little better too.

I only wish it had full Mail Merge capabilities with a spreadsheet or Filemaker app and the ability to automatically replace words with ones you lookup via OS X's system Dictionary/Thesuraus.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Thanks for all the solutions guys!!

I seem to be set for word processing, IM via MSN proves a little harder, but I'm sure I can find something, thanks.

wow Hell of an upgrade
I thought it was about time.. :eek:

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
quidire said:
For all your IM needs (AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk/Jabber) in one application (without jabber gateways!) try out Adium X.

I use it, it's brilliant! It is also free (and open source as well).

Do you know if this is universal yet? The only reason I didn't suggest it is that I wasn't sure if it was universal.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
as of earlier this year, yes, adium is universal. and it seriously rocks.

Same can't be said towards the other half-decent chat app, Proteus...the beta they have up isn't even universal, it's a beta that runs in rosetta, wth?!.. :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.