Intel + Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by spyker3292, Jul 9, 2005.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    Hey I read a thing that said that when Mac switches to Intel it will also allow us to us microsoft software on a mac. Is this true? and would it let us play microsoft games?
  2. gamestriker macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2004
    Well AppleInsider already showed that Windows can be installed on an Intel Mac, so in that sense, then yes, you can play PC only games on a Mac.
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    On the Intel machines, you can just install Windows on them and boot in that.

Additionally, you can use WineX (now known as Cedega I believe) if they make a Mac version; it already runs on Linux, and lets Linux (IF its running on an x86 processor) play all/most Windows games! Think of it like Classic mode.

Not only that, it'll make Macs better for gaming. Before I get flamed, it's NOT because Intel processors are better for gaming (otherwise Microsoft wouldn't be switching to PowerPC), but because since Apple is using Intel processors, that means its compatible with all the PC graphics cards and we won't have to wait six months for Mac-compatible graphics cards to be released!
  4. Jedda macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2003

I think the best way to play games on the mac will not be emulation layers, but rather to just boot into Windows.

This is going to prove a major problem for mac game developers and may even see the end of native mac gaming.

5. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    The previous post brought up a question for me (sorry if this is off-topic) but what does this mean for videocards when booting to windows? More specifically, don't "mac" videocards have to be flashed to work with windows?
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    We're not going to need "Mac" videocards anymore. We'll use the normal ones.
  7. clykins90 macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005

I have a few games I run on my iMac g5 right now, when these new intel chips come out, what will happen to the current games I have. Will they become obsolete and only play on any G4s/g5s I have right now?
  8. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004
    The games should run on the new Intel Macs using Rosetta so the PowerPC code can run on Intels.
  9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    won't Rosetta be slow? I know it's a good emulator, but any emulator is going to be worse than natively running something...
  10. gangst macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2004
    Yeah, I can see why you think that, but in two years we will have bigger and badder processors and graphics cards which will help greatly with Rosetta emulation.
  11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Rosetta is a massive breakthrough; it's based on QuickTransit. It's much faster than any emulator of the past.

It will allow you to use all your Mac applications on an Intel Mac.

HOWEVER, there is one problem.

It does not emulate AltiVec. So it's basicly emulating a really fast G3.

So check the system requirements of your games. Any game that requires a G4 or G5 (won't run on a G3) is likely dependent on AltiVec and won't run on the Intel Macs sadly :(
  12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    That's actually not's a OpenFirmware (or BIOS) issue, not a CPU issue. It's 100% possible that Apple could have PC graphics cards working on current PPC Macs if they really wanted to. So-called "Mac" graphics cards *are* just PC graphics cards, with just a different firmware, that's all. (And maybe a different video connector or two, though that's been going away lately as well.) I've got a PPC machine which uses Uboot rather than OpenFirmware, and it uses PC graphics cards.

So Intel is mostly meaningless as far as graphics cards go...Apple could still require "special" vid cards for Intel Macs if they wanted. (Although not likely....)