Intel Halts 3.0 GHz P4 Shipments

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NavyIntel007, Apr 14, 2003.

1. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

This quote seems odd: "There's still no word yet from Intel as to what we're planning to do," the Dell spokesman said.

Are they robots, taking their orders directly from Intel?

3. iGav macrumors G3

Without Intel...... Dell are nothing..... Mwhahahahaha :p :p :p

4. Totalshock macrumors member

A computer vendor at the mercy of a processor supplier that doesn't meet expectations?

Mr. Dell, welcome to Mr. Jobs' world. All the problems, none of the cool reality distortion field stuff....

5. NavyIntel007 thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Things couldn't be better for Apple. With a glitch in intel's newest processor Apple may be able to take the cake with the 970. Assuming it's above the hype.

6. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

The glitch affects the 800MHZ FSB P4's, not any current CPUs. I think what they're waiting for from Intel is what to do with the defective CPUs they have already received.

7. iGav macrumors G3

:p :p :p

8. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

How did that Apple commercial go??? Oh yeah..... Burn Baby Burn! :p

I haven't liked Intel for years even before I switched to Mac. AMD offers way more Bang for the buck, IMHO. (Since the Athlon line...)

(.....Waiting for the Intel loyalists to rise up against me.... :D)

9. NavyIntel007 thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

And yet, even today some people still want Apple to move to Intel... apparently people get dropped on their heads all the time.

10. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

You know, technically, it would be possible to give apple near 100% marketshare if we popped the tires of all the intel+amd delivery trucks...;)

11. dethl macrumors regular

I still find it interesting that Intel is pushing their 32-bit processors faster while AMD is taking the next step to 64-bit desktop computing.

12. zulgand04 macrumors regular

zulgand04

all i can say is hahahahahahaha, boy thats nice to hear.

-neal

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Why is everyone so anti-Intel? They make ultra-fast chips, just
    because they are responsible for lower mac sales doesn't mean
    they are a bad company or anything... Could someone fill me
    in on why they are so evil?

14. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm.. Good question...

It's all pretty scientific really, Scem0:

Intel is pronounced "In TELL"
    Devil is pronounced "De VELL"

Now drink a few cases of Stoli and In TELL sounds like De VELL.

;)

Come to think of it, "De VELL" also begins to sound like "Dell" and vice versa.

:D

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

:totally doubts any such thing happening:

I'm going to agree to that gibberish. :D

Well intel is smart by making their chips clock speed way high but innovation quite low. The most promising thing they did was hyper-threading. that is it.
    People think
    Intel = M$
    Intel is the mail supplier to PC's and basically anything PC will get bashed on this board...

16. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I am not fond of Intel for many reasons. A few years ago they announced that Moore's Law had finally failed. When it was really just Intel had stopped innovating and they couldn't leep up with Moore's law. AMD picked up the slack and made faster chips. Intels responce was to bascially overclock old designs. I still think AMD has a stronger chip than Intel.

Also Intel employs a few of M$'s tricks for bullying smaller companies.. . .

17. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The benchmarks are out. The Clawhammer (or athlon64 as they want to call it), sucks compared to the P4. They're barely 5% faster than Athlon XPs at the same clock speed.

Bad news for AMD

18. jragsdale macrumors newbie

I'll be running Intel based 1U servers soon. AMD processors are very hard to cool, if the fan fails the whole CPU and possibly the motherboard dies with it. With the P4 it would just clock down until a safe tempature is reached so a slow CPU vs. a dead CPU is a bigger deal to me than saving $50 and going with AMD. The owner of Sprynex, who I'll be colocating my equipment with, puts extra fans in his cabnits pointed at AMD servers just to keep them from overheating. Intel also makes consistantly better chipsets than anything on the AMD side but that's just my opinion.

Better performance... come on, no one I've met that's into computers will seriously stand by the 5% performance increase in favor of either actually making a difference in the applications you'll run on the machine. Think real world performance -- no real difference between to two. Both processors aren't very exciting, I still think the G4 is on the top of my list in "cool factor" for how it gets things done. Fast enough for me, am I all alone?

I beg to differ on the better bang for the buck on the AMD side but it really doesn't matter, PC's suck :D

Cheapest Power Mac 970: $1,600

Cheapest P4 System: under $1,000?

Not with Apple's pricing, I learned how to use Photoshop on Pentium III machines with 512Mb RAM and it worked just fine. Most people don't need an 970 powered computer. At least not enough to take the cake.

19. void macrumors 6502

If I could play devils advocate here, AMD used to provide more "bang for the buck", but now intel is slashing prices and AMD is only cheaper on the very low end (Athlon XP 1x00)

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

AMD doesn't have a heating problem, if I were to get (another) PC I would get an AMD, AMD doesn't have problems with heating, if so why can I overclock them so much?

My friend overclocked his like really high with no problems at all.

21. jragsdale macrumors newbie

In a 1U chassis they do, I'm not arguing against using one in a desktop. I don't have any solid evidence other than personal experience. I've sold a motherboard and an Athlon XP 2100+ because I couldn't keep the CPU from overheating in a 1U chassis with good cooling. My chassis was a Compucase RA160 and the HSF's I tried were 1U models, all copper, from Thermaltake, Dynatron, and CoolJag. I've heard good things about Dynatron's "blower" style HSF and AMD processors but I didn't try them.

For a desktop or 2U and above server AMD is fine but in a 1U server, AMD has issues with heat.