Intel iBook in Shipping in June?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 3, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Forbes reports that Asustek Computer Inc has secured an Apple Computer contract for "iBook notebook personal computers".

According to their sources, Apple has secured approximately 1.2 million units initially. The laptops are said to be powered by Intel processors and are equipped with 13.3" displays. Apple will reportedly start selling the new iBooks in June.

Apple has been rumored to introduce a 13" Intel iBook. One early report claimed the new iBook would use a significantly different enclosure. Other speculation has suggested that the new Intel iBooks would be called MacBooks.

2. macrumors P6

Peace

Glad Asustek is doing the board.Excellent outfit!

3. macrumors 68020

Too long IMO, but I guess they want as many people as possible to buy the Powerbook. Oops I meant Macbook Pro :p

4. Guest

iGary

5. macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Yeah that is really high class. Well I guess that frees up my afternoon tomorrow from obsessively checking macrumors. :(

6. macrumors 6502

X5-452

Boo, I was hoping they'd release them tomorrow.

7. macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Tomorrow would be better for sure.

With all the rumors around the new iBook, this almost seems like old news....shipping in a couple of months.....blah.

8. macrumors newbie

lvnmacs

:D I am hoping for a new sleek look and brighter display! Will it be worth upgrading from my PPC PB? We'll have to see. Anyways, how exciting!

9. macrumors 6502a

Manzana

so this is way before WWDC...

with they would announce soon

10. macrumors 6502

June?! Well they can almost forget about most non-public school's buying seasons. Darn, and I was going to try to hold out, too...

11. macrumors regular

pavetheforest

if they do start in june, first off i'm going to cry for a very long time, starting tomorrow if nothing happens, maybe a week of whining and complaining....and then when i'm out of jokes about steve jobs, i'll start collecting pennies for the macBook Pro

12. macrumors member

wonder if they will come with built in iSights... i remember reading a review about MacBook Pro talking about how all the government people couldn't get them because of the iSight.

13. macrumors 68020

miloblithe

June does seem pretty late. What about the rest of the portable lineup? Will there be a small pro machine? Another 17" machine? When might those come out?

14. macrumors 6502a

How did they miss the buying season? Most private colleges and high schools get out in May/June as do most public schools. They tend to go back to school at the begining or end of August. If they're shipping in June then its almost perfect timing.

I'm definetly excited about this, If they have one with a dedicated video card and front row Im all over it.

15. macrumors member

16. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

June seems too late.
    Many High School Seniors receive laptops as graduation gifts (to prepare for college), but June will be too late for that.

Should be early May at the latest IMHO.

17. macrumors 68020

The article says the LCDs are being delivered in April. So, couldn't they be announced sooner than June?

You know how Steve takes 1-2 months to make his latest brainchild.

If the MacBook is shipping in August, that just sucks. I don't think I would wait.

18. macrumors regular

cloudblood84

can't wait

i guess i'm off to the apple store to pick up the mbp, because no way i can wait for abt ANOTHER 2 months:(

19. macrumors regular

pavetheforest

20. macrumors 601

mjstew33

They might update them tomorrow with PPC processors, as they really need an update - to carry over until Intel hits the streets in the iBook/MacBook.

21. macrumors P6

twoodcc

dang, June seems too far off. all i can say is, they better release something tomorrow!!!:eek:

22. macrumors 6502a

Way to go Asustek! Counting your eggs before they hatch, huh? Guess you didn't read the contract? Those guys on the other line are from Apple legal.

I wonder how next week's headline will read?

23. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I hope you are joking. The next update we will see WILL have Intel processors.

24. macrumors regular

cloudblood84

wait, there's an event speculated for tomorrow?

25. macrumors regular

macpastor

13" iBook, MacBook or MacBook Pro?

I have a good friend who is the manager for an Apple store in Minnesota. I was speaking to him today about the upcoming MacBook (replacement for iBook) and he shared with me that from what he has heard from his sources in HQ, they will be combining the iBook 12", 14" and Powerbook 12" into one 13" WS unit. From there, my speculation is that one model would be intro priced with a core solo, while the upgraded model would have the SD, more memory, bigger hard drive and a Core Duo. My speculation, not his...

So, what does that do you for you? I for one would buy one if they would incase it in the aluminum structure. I have never cared for the white plastic look.