Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2004
parrothead said:
I think it is a bad idea to rename the ibook to MacBook. There is not enough difference between MacBook Pro. People will get confused. Plus, the name iBook is so well known now, to change it doesn't make any sense.

I agree, they've still got the Imac so I dont see why they couldn't keep iBook.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
dejo said:
True, but allows native HD resolution (720p).
now theres a big plus and 720p is about all the low core solos and low core duos can manage its only the >1.8 that seem to manage 1080p

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
can't wait

this is what i have been saving my money for

right now i have a 1 ghz emac (that hums loudly) and takes up too much space

and an emachines tower connected to a 15" CRT (that hums very loudly) and takes up even more space that i need for work for a windows specific app...

i can get rid of both with a tiny, tiny laptop, yay!!!!!!!

Twenty1

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
integrated graphics?

I'll be curious if the new Macbook has integrated graphics. I'm not a gamer, but one of the reason's my G3 iBook has lasted three and half years is due to the dedicated 32 MB video card. I'm really in the market for a new iBook/MacBook so I hope the system is worth while.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
blaskillet4 said:
I still don't get why it would be re-branded as "MacBook".

The "i" was a consumer thing. iBook + iPod + iMac. Or should we expect a "MacPod" soon.

Ugh, I'm going to miss the old name.

I agree ... one move that no matter what the benefit is (mentally for getting the name Mac out there) ... I still liked "Power" and "I"

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
pkkrusty said:
If 'sharing components with Mac Mini' means the MacBook will have Integrated Graphics, then Apple will be even more of a sellout then when they did it with the mini.

Don't give the excuse that most people don't need a dedicated graphics card. That's the rationale Dell uses on its $400 POS computers. You all know deep down that it is a bad move. I'll bet Steve Jobs does also.
Enough of this. Seriously - enough.

The GMA 950 is a fine GFX card for 2D and light 3D work. It handles video excellently, and Core Image stuff works great with it.

The iBook is not a games machine. Its a student level laptop for doing word processing/internet etc. The GMA 950 is fine for this, and will more than adequately power a 1280x720 screen (hell it beautifully runs my 1680x1050 screen).

Integrated graphics are hear to stay on the low end, live with it or spend the money on a "Pro" machine.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
mark88 said:
I agree, they've still got the Imac so I dont see why they couldn't keep iBook.
I think Steve Jobs has been quoted saying he wants to implement the actual word, 'Mac' into the machines' names-- brand association? So iMac has Mac in it, but iBook does not. :p

:edit: Dang it swingerofbirch beat me to it.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Depending on how tight the design is, this 13.3" computer could be smaller than the 12" iBook, although bigger than the 12" PowerBook. It'll still be nice and portable.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
dejo said:
True, but allows native HD resolution (720p).
The MacBook Pro is 16:9 - the space at the top of the screen is occupied by the built-in camera. If the MacBook (iBook) is also 16:9, this suggests it will also have a camera.

And yes, 16:9 is a much more sensible ratio.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Integrated graphics have come a long way. Intel are supposed to be releasing another chipset soon called the G965, which is highly likely to find its way into the next Mini and MacBook (if the MB does have Integrated Graphics). It supports DDR 800 and Shader Model 3.0 (Pixel + Vertex!), so it should perform much better.

zen said:
The MacBook Pro is 16:9 - the space at the top of the screen is occupied by the built-in camera. If the MacBook (iBook) is also 16:9, this suggests it will also have a camera.

Last time I checked, 1440x900 is 16:10.

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
babyjenniferLB said:
now theres a big plus and 720p is about all the low core solos and low core duos can manage its only the >1.8 that seem to manage 1080p
If you read this site at all, which I think you do, you should have seen already that the 1.66Mhz Core Duo Minis can handle 1080p just fine.

JZ Wire

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Miami, FL
Yay!

Finally! Id love to own a MacBook Core Duo. I need a laptop but nothing too fancy or expensive as a MacBok Pro. The high-end Core Duo MacBook will be perfect for school, email, Word, etc. But like someone said earlier, ill wait till Leopard before I buy. Not only because I want 10.5 pre-installed on my laptop but also id rather not get the first batch since they can sometimes suffer some unexpected quirks. Heres hoping for a nice, thin, sleek MacBook soon!!!
:D :D :cool:

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Eidorian said:
*waits for 10.5 first*

Seriously, I bought iLife '06 and that's the most updating I'll do. I'll just wait for iLife '07 and 10.5 to come standard on whatever new Mac I pick. Still, the more revisions before then the better. Bring them out sooner!
Can I have your permission to make this post into a wallpaper for all of my Macs?

It's so hard to resist new hardware. :eek: And you pose such helpful reasons to wait.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
iDrinkKoolAid said:
With Boot Camp now available, a 13.3-inch Core Duo laptop looks appealing!

I'm assuming though that being a consumer model, it won't have DVI out and (out of the box) monitor spanning?

(am I the first post?)

If they take the 12" powerbook out they will give the 13" a Opitical Out and DVI out of the box ...all of the *new macs* have DVi and ability to span.

loveturtle

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Florida
I can't wait, i've been waiting for the 17" all year.
I keep getting so close to breaking down and just buying the 15"...
I would buy the 17" right now if i could..

I hope the resolution is decent though, my current 15.4" laptop is 1920x1200 and I like it like that!

All I can say is Apple, please hurry up so I can give you some money! kthx.

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
Macrumors said:
The upcoming MacBook is said to share internal components with the recently released Mac mini which comes in both Core Solo and Core Duo configurations. The new MacBook will therefore replace both the current 12" and 14" iBooks as well as the 12" PowerBook G4. This corroborates a similar report that new iBooks were in production to be delivered by June. The iBook was last updated in July 2005.
I don't like this one bit because it means they will use the 12" iBook G4 as their $799 entry level laptop, the Macbook 1.5 core solo for $999, and Macbook core duo 1.67 for maybe $1299 or $1399. I sure hope it doesn't have integrated graphics for the duo. Also, I hope they offer a 1.83GHz model for $200 higher than the 1.67.

I was really hoping the entire Macbook line would have core duos, but ranging from 1.67 to 1.83GHz. :mad:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
devilot said:
Can I have your permission to make this post into a wallpaper for all of my Macs?

It's so hard to resist new hardware. :eek: And you pose such helpful reasons to wait.
Fine by me. :D

radian23

Jan 19, 2005
I wonder what the price of the MB is going to be. I bet it will be $1500 with a 1.83 core duo, 512 MB ram, 64 MB video memory, with an isight all inside an aluminum enclosure.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
I think the pricepoint is really the critical issue here. I don't see a big problem with Apple slimming down their line of notebooks because they should all be very capable machines, but it will be interesting to see how the "low end" iBook replacement is received--it all depends on the price. At $1299 the Core Duo would be fantastic, I think. Somehow I see it higher though.

RollTide

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
Alabama
I think that using some of the macmini parts was a good idea, I mean if you have to make all new parts, your price goes up, this will help the new ibook appeal to more people, makes since from an engineering standpoint

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
I think eventually the MacBook will be at 999/1299, but, like the Mac minis, I would guess they start out at a 100 early-adopter premium. Therefore, I expect 1099/1399.

I agree with others who believe the MacBook should come in white and black. I think the iMac should as well. Buyers have shown that they LIKE the black in consumer-level Apple products. I do hope the MacBook design is more refreshed than the MacBook Pro's was.

Announce it already, Apple!! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.