Intel iMac airport connection problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dbonyad, Jan 1, 2007.

1. dbonyad macrumors newbie

Hello,

My new intel iMac connected up to my 802.11g 3come wireless modem/router fine, the strength in excellent (always full or nearly full) but the connection is very very intermittent.

It will only work for a minute or so but then the internet will go down on the machine for about 30 seconds, then come back on.

The network file sharing also goes down. Other Windows PCs on the network do not have this problem.

I have tried the following, none has had any effect:
    • Turning off all other network PCs
    • Disabling all encryption on the router
    • Using different browsers
    • Calling Apple support - first they asked me to adjust some networking options, we also setup a new network connection. They then sent me a replacement iMac - it's exactly the same

The firmware is up-to-date on the router.

I am aware there are similar posts in the forum, but other people's problems seem to be to do with their speed. None of the solutions have helped.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your support.
    Davood

2. dbonyad thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I honestly think its a problem with Apple's AirPort software there. It doesn't like something about the 3Com wireless router. It seems that some people have issues with non AirPort Base Stations. For example, if you have WEP enabled on a D-Link Wireless Router, many people have trouble getting connected to it.

If you want to test that theory, get a USB wireless adapter and connect wirelessly with that. I know its an expensive solution.

Oh BTW, you're running the latest AirPort Software right? Go through Software Update (in the Apple Menu) and see if there's any AirPort Updates available. Also, check and see if there's any Firmware Updates for your iMac as well which should also come up in the software update app.

4. dbonyad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I thought that might be it.

So getting a new router should solve this?

5. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

There are serious airport problems with intel macs running 10.4.8. I was fine until I installed 10.4.8 on my Core Duo imac.

Apple suggests removing WPA networks from the preferred list and re-adding them. This worked for a while, but then airport started going out again - disconnecting permanently, losing sight of all networks, with me having to reset the machine. Then it would self-assign IP addresses, and constantly drop the connection.

Try all of these solutions. Deleting the System Configuration folder as advised solved my problems for about five days until they resurfaced. I now rolled my imac back to 10.4.7 by doing an archive and install. It wasn't pretty (six hours of work to get everything back to normal)!

6. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

Demand a refund, then buy one with i life 07 after macworld this monday.

7. somewhatstunned macrumors member

I have a D-Link router that gave me trouble setting up my MBP. I had to try a number of combinations of WEP types on the router and WEP types on the Airport. The successful combination was not intuitive, and I'm sorry that I did not document the process.

I did have to reboot i.e. restarting AirPort did not do the trick. It was a nuisance, but now it works flawlessly.

I do think Apple could do more to get along in the world. My Windows and Linux machines both connect easily.

8. dbonyad thread starter macrumors newbie

If I buy a new router should I go for draft n? I heard the new iMacs have a draft n card, but people say they don't work with the draft n routers? Why not? Or do they?

9. Tarkovsky macrumors 6502

Tarkovsky

As far as I've heard OSX doesn't have the drivers for that but windows does. So it depends if you are running it under windows or OSX. Leopard might have the drivers for it. If you're using it as a bridge for your internet it's not going make to any difference, neither is using an old 8011.b if your connecting less than about four users.

10. dbonyad thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone confirm this, can you run with draft 802.11n if you're using Windows XP on a new iMac?