Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
So we know its dual channel. So if i buy my iMac with a 1x1gb upgrade and then buy 1x1gb 3rd party will it still run in dual channel mode?

Do they have to be IDENTICAL or just the same spec? and what specs need to be the same? thanks:confused:

nosser

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2005
Orange County California
Sorry that I can't help but I was wondering the same thing becasue I have seen on some sites where they sell 2x1gig sticks and say they are "matched" or something like that. I was looking to bto an imac with 2x1gig for only an additional $270 (edu discount) or try to find two 1gig rams sticks someplace that has them in stock for a reasonable price.

gunm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
HI
To run in dual channel, the general requirements are:

same type of memory
same size
similar timing settings

You can use third party memory with the included ("factory") one.

You don't need to put two of the same size sticks in the iMac memory banks, but it won't run in dual channel, so you won't get that particular type of performance improvement.

Optimal performance is through "matched" pairs, but casual users won't need to worry about this.

Ryan T.

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2005
Rochester, NY
I think people are really worrying a bit too much about this dual channel deal.

The performance gains are going to be very marginal.

majorp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
MacinJosh said:
Is there an easy to way to check, in OS X, whether or not the system is running dual channel memory?

Joshua.

i would like to know this as well. an easy or hard way to check.....any way to check!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.