Intel iMac Chirping Noise???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by poolin1243, Aug 31, 2006.

1. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hey all-

my intel iMac is making chirping noises...what is this???

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Could you be a little more specific? When does this "chirping" occur? (ie. What are you doing on the computer at the time?) Where on the computer does it sound like its coming from? Does it happen constantly or does there seem to be a pattern?

3. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

no pattern no rhyme or reason...it seems as though it does it when im doing something processor intensive, and when its sitting idle...so both. I really dont know what area its coming from...definately on the back maybe the bottom area?

4. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

My MBP makes chirping noises too when its working hard

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Hard drives make a sort of pop/click/chript when writting data. Could that be it?

6. sonofsneaker macrumors newbie

I think my Mini might be making that "chirping" noise too. It sounds like it might be fan bearings starting to go. I have a stock 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo Mini. I know that some of the Macbook Pros were affected by bad bearings in the fans.

7. sonofsneaker macrumors newbie

I think my Mini might be making that "chirping" noise too. It sounds like it might be fan bearings starting to go. I have a stock 1.5 GHz Intel Core Solo Mini. I know that some of the Macbook Pros were affected by bad bearings in the fans.

Edit: After playing a CPU/GPU intensive game and running the fan at a higher RPM I don't think it is bearings in the fan. I think it's the hard drive. I have a stock seagate hard drive. I know the Seagates can sometimes make "funny" noises. Probably time for me to upgrade the Ram and perhaps the hard drive:).

8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

My girl friend's 20" iMac makes that noise too!@!!! Its soo annoying and drives me nuts. I am always looking for where it was coming from.

9. fitinferno macrumors 6502

I had the chirp noises problem before--I honestly thought it was my bird making them...horrified to realise it was the computer!

The hard drive went a few days after it appeared, so if you hear something chirping in your computer (even if it is a fan rather than harddrive), maybe it's a nice friendly reminder that it's time for a data backup?

10. sonofsneaker macrumors newbie

No kidding! Just a thought, what OS is everybody using when they hear the chirping noise? I only noticed my noise in Windows XP. As soon as I rebooted to OS X the noise vanished. Weird :)

11. glldsgn macrumors newbie

MacBook makes chirping or cricket noise

My MacBook is one week old and from day one it has made a chirping sound At first I thought it was some interference in the speaker set up. I unplugged them from computer. Still did it. Then turned the speakers off. I found the only way to stop it is to mute the computer. And NO kidding it just did it ! Any ideas?

12. nbritton macrumors regular

My 24" aluminum iMac just did this. I was just browsing the web and then I heard a bird chirping coming from my speakers... I suspected it was a website I visited or a popup ad so I closed all open tabs except for google search... Still chirping... As soon as I moved the mouse to close the programs it stopped. This chirping was going on for a good 10 seconds, enough time for me to determine it was coming from my speakers because I turned the volume all the way up and the chirping got louder. My gut says virus or other type of malware... but I did a full scan with ClamXav and got nothing. I'm running Leopard 10.5.2

13. epritzl79 macrumors newbie

Weather Bug

I had this and it was from the severe weather alert on my Weather Bug app in the upper right hand corner of my screen. I changed the settings to make it silent. I don't think I installed this so I believe it was part of an update. Hope this helps.

14. DUSTmurph macrumors regular

most likely caused by a bird trapped in the harddrive. very frequent problem among imac users.

15. SFJeff macrumors newbie

I had this problem with my 24" iMac and it went away when I vacuumed the bottom vents. Must have a piece of lint or paper vibrating in the breeze from the fan.

16. Carabell macrumors newbie

Carabell

epritzl79 - THANK YOU!!! This chirping noise has been driving me nuts forever it seems. It was the weatherbug icon. You have no idea how happy I am that you posted this. :D

17. OGDaniel macrumors 6502a

OGDaniel

I have experienced this noise many times with iPods and a few times with my 24" intel iMac. Usually this sound means the hard drive is a little hot and working harder than normal. That weather bug thing others mentioned, don't know what the hell that is. Think of giving your Mac a restart or a few hours shutdown.

18. rgood25 macrumors newbie

Chirping Sound

My 24" Imac purchased new in July of 09' started chirping over the last few weeks. It is very annoying and is increasing in intensity. I took it to the local Apple Store here in Colorado Springs and an initial test revealed that the hard drive was fine. BUT!!! When the "genious" went to the verify and repair utility....it was discovered that there are many errors on the hard drive and that it needs to be replaced. It is a Western Digital 640gig drive. I was nearly 6 months out of warranty but they are replacing it anyway. Can't guarantee this for you but you can try.

Hope this helps

19. LEO662 macrumors newbie

RE: Intel MAC Chirping Noise

I too had been plagued by the mysterious chirping noise coming from a relatively new Mac Mini. A previous post described it as something like rubber shoes on a smooth floor.
    Then I remembered, I had recently changed the "new email arrival sound" to Morse(as in Morse Code). This sound is a chirp. It is random because receiving email is a random event. Its easy to verify under mail preferences.
    Nothing foreboding to worry about.

20. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

a little nervous.

i just returned my imac bc i didn't know what was up with the chirping so they just swapped it out, kindly. so i just brought my new one home and....same noise. weird stuff. hopefully it's no biggie.