Intel iMac from Apple Store with hard drive upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by M. Malone, Mar 20, 2006.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Mar 11, 2004
    I would like to buy my intel iMac from an Apple Store for 2 reasons:

1. I don't wanna wait for it to be delivered.
    2. I wanna inspect it for dead pixels before I take it home.

my question:
    Can I get the iMac with the 256 video card, 2GB ram, and 500GB hard drive from the apple store? or is that an online only feature?

and would you advise against getting those upgrades at the store? I have had experience with Apple Store employees who seem to know nothing about computers.

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    you better hope if it has any dead pixels, it is 3 or more. chances are, they will not let you exchange it for another one if it's less than 3. maybe more than that.
  3. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Circumventing the multi-verse...
    To my knowleged you can only build to order online from the apple store. Unless something has changed in the last couple weeks. Every once in a while a store might have a "Beefed up" model for sale, i.e the mac mini ultimate..
  4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    No you can't get the upgrades at the store, sorry. They had a few upgrade combos at first but do a search about the 256 video card on here and you'll see the problems that I had with trying to get that combo.
    As for the checking dead pixels, if it's less than 5 (it might be 3, I don't think so though) they won't give you another without giving you that restocking fee unless you really make a scene. If you want all those upgrades you really should go online and order it.