Intel iMac iSight quality

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maverick808, Jan 31, 2006.

1. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

I got an Intel iMac and the quality of the iSight camera seems really low. Can someone else with an Intel iMac take a picture so I can compare please?

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I agree. Compared to my old iSight that sat atop my iMac the new iSight built in seems to be lower quality. At first I thought it was just the connection but now I think it's the camera itself. Anyone else agree or disagree?

3. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

What are the specs of the internal iSight vs the original? I'm curious as well.

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The new iSight is higher resolution, but clearly (just look at them) the original iSight has a better lense.

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Exactly. The thing that I don't get is that it seemed that the demo Jobs did during the Keynote seemed to be as good an image as the previous iSights.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not that the original iSight takes great shots without 3rd party software to improve the default settings, but the Intel iMac iSight takes even worse ones by default. This is in a well-lit room. I don't know what the specs are, but specs can be misleading. The quality is worse, IMHO. Very dim, out of focus.
    [​IMG]

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From an original iSight, connected to the Intel iMac. I guess they both suck, but the original - dark as the images are, still has better light-gathering than the new one. There is no 3rd party SW in effect - this is an iSight plugged into the iMac on PhotoBooth, with default settings.

However, the new one does seem to have better resolution, but it's hard to see an improvement due to the darkness and the poor focus.

[​IMG]

8. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

And all I can think is that looks like my lounge, only tidier with fewer children and nothing on fire.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure the iSight is intended to take pictures of rooms, more the face up close. Saying that, the images clearly show the effect of a reduced quality lens/aperture. Pure and simply, less light gets in.

Should they have integrated? iMac for sure, MacBook Pro... eh... not so sure.

9. fisty macrumors member

where the dog go?:D

10. elbirth macrumors 65816

If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that the lens in the iSight has an aperture of f/2, which is pretty wide- meaning it has a more narrow depth of field. So only a certain distance from the camera is in focus, and anything closer or further away is out of focus. I would imagine since it's meant to capture someone sitting directly in front of the computer, the range is fairly close to the camera.

Can other people post some example shots from their iSight? The one above does look pretty bad, considering how it comes across in the previews on Apple's site and what we saw at the Keynote.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Oh, I thought that was clear, but I guess the cushion hides it: the baby ate the dog.

12. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Was toying with the idea of getting an external iSight but if they produce images like that....

What a complete rip off.

13. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I've seen much better color and exposure out of the built in isight.

14. bugfaceuk macrumors 6502

bugfaceuk

Just looking at the images it looks hopelessly badly framed (i.e. any camera would be challenged).

The iSight is pointing directly at a window which will trick the automatic level control to throw down the brightness and reduce contrast. Although there is still a difference in the quality of the two images, on reflection this looks like

a) Not the kind of scene the iSight is designed for. i.e. a room, instead of a face a foot or two from the camera.

b) poorly composed with direct light coming into the room through a limited aperture (the window)

Time to re-arrange the lounge to suit your camera.

15. ChrisA macrumors G4

It has a lens that is the diameter of the eraser end of a pencil. What do you expect? I'd expect image quality on a par with a cell phone camera seems for the posted example I'm right.

But that's good enough for many uses

I've used my Sony mini DV video camera connected to the fire wire port. THis works well and has a bult in mic.

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

It does the job... I can't tell a night and day difference

17. howesey macrumors 6502a

Size of the lens is smaller than a pin head.

18. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Sounds like it can be a good ol' game of spot the difference :D