Intel iMac Ram cheaper from apple in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by majorp, Jan 26, 2006.

1. majorp macrumors 6502

Im buying an intel mac this week. If it is faulty (a few dead pixels) i would like to be able to return it. BTO is not an option then but with my eduactional discount ram is £61 per GB. Can you buy it anywhere in the uk for that price or even £70? I cant find any for less than £100!!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I see it as £70 for an extra 512MB, for a total of 1GB (in the regular store but the EDU store is rarely heaps cheaper). :confused:

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had same problem mate. I'm in Ireland and the best price I could get from UK or Euro sites weren't that much better than the price it costs to upgraded from Apple Edu Store.. I ended up ordering 2gb from Apple for 310 Euro whereas Crucial.com/uk or /eu ;are about the same price and don't have any in stock, so what the hell.

By the way I've never had a problem returning anything BTO to apple at all.

4. majorp thread starter macrumors 6502

cheers man, ive been searching everywhere for this info. I think ill risk the BTO as many people are saying they have returned there's. The good old english long distant selling law. No restocking fee for us! :D

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you buy a 1 Gb module from a third party for 99 inclu VAT, you end up with 1.5 Gb RAM. If you take the 70 option from Apple BTO, you end up with 1.0 Gb RAM.

Not comparable.

Another way to look at it is if you put in the full 2 Gb, Apple will charge you 210, but third party will cost 198 or less, and you will have a 512 Mb SODIMM you can sell.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I considered this and then though t to myself. Do I care more that I get my machine with 2gb now, or do I wait for crucial to re-stock, no knowing how long that will be, and then put up with rosetta sucking ass for a week or two.. Only so that I can save a few quid on a 2095 Euro computer, all to sell 512mb for what 60€ minus shipping / ebay or and paypal fees....

Sometimes saving a few pennies is not worth the crap you have to put up with to get there.

My time & energy is worth more to me than a few quid saving.