Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I have yet to buy external speakers for my intel imac, however, I am noticing more and more a very annoying "crackling or popping" every so often... random "crack/pop"... what is going on? The machine is still under warranty if this is a serious problem... but boy it really is annoying when it happens.

Superhob

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2004
I had the exact same problem. I took it to two different Apple stores and one of the geniuses told me it was the power supply. They kept the imac for one week while they replaced the power supply. Anyway, the same problem was there after the supposed repair. Finally, I called tech support and asked for a higher level tech. He seemed to know what the problem was and immediately offered to send me a new imac in exchange. I should recieve the new one soon.

You shouldn't put up with it because it's very annoying and is clearly a defect. If your imac is less than a month old you should demand a replacement. Good Luck!

jlloyd

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
I am having the same problem and I got mine 1 week ago, I hear this crack sound every 5 mins or so. I am using a external speaker setup so I know its not the internal speaker making the noise. I might have to return it for another one I am in the 14 day return.

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Anyone else? unfortunately i can't get an exchange! :( mine was a custom built imac. Bought it 2 months ago... so my only option is to take it in. I sure hope it gets fixed... it's SO ANNOYING...happens infrequently and randomly and sometimes im not sure where it comes from.. just a "crack"..or "pop"...argh

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
i reset the PRAMs already but I do not have external speakers (will get them shortly) however...

the more i listen to it the more it sounds like a "SPARK"...

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I will be taking the machine in today, most likely... but anyone have a clue what is wrong? :(

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
How about use some external good speakers and not the crap internal integrated speakers.

ethen

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2005
my wife's fist intel imac does that, the 20" inch have a crackling sound, we went back and exchanged it for 17" (she doesnt like the high resolutions) and it doesnt have the same problem.

jlloyd

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2006
this is not a speaker problem this, I hear a sparking sound also. I have Klipsch speakers hooked up which are very expensive and very well used before I moved over to the new iMac 20"

frankm007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
I took my imac in for repair. In attempt to describe the sound he mentioned that it could be a hard drive problem, I didn't think so, but when he said; "does it sound like metal expanding?" aha! yes... it's as if metal is frozen and slowly expands and you heard a metallic "pop"! He said that is a hard drive problem, as the drive spins the metal hits it wrong and you hear the pop. Let's see what happens... it's been 2 months since my purchase so a replacement might not be an option (unless it doesn't get fixed I assume)...

blues75

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2006
iMac Popping Sound, Apple Does not care or admit faulty products

Hello,

I have this popping issue with my iMac as well. It occurs at boot up with 4 loud pops and also occurs on a new sound if a sound has not been played for a few seconds. I notice it alot in Garage Band while I am attempting to compose music. This is a very annoying issue. Sound that I wish to here from the speaker is never very loud and the speaker plug does not fully insert into the iMac. I took this iMac to the Mac Store where I purchased it to have them repair it and other issues. It has been in twice and the issue still remains. I have been in contact with Customer Relations at Apple about this issue and they are useless. They have stated that they are aware this issue occurs but they do not believe it is a problem and are therfore not going to do anything about it. This is my first Mac, and based on my experience so far with the computer and the so called "customer service" I will never, ever purchase another Apple product, I will also advise others to do the same. It is clear that if Apple manufactures a faulty product that they refuse to admit it and refuse to satisfy its customers.

ymh90

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
my imac which i received today was working perfectly fine until now. whenever the sound is used a very high pitched noise is made and the sound from the speakers is extremely quiet, poor quality and heavily distorted.

anyone know a solution?
thanks!

jrc1230

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
A possible solution!

I just bought an iMac a couple weeks ago and noticed the same thing. I called apple and the guy told me it was a hardware problem. He told me to restart my mac and upon booting it back up to hold down, "option", "command", "T", and "R". I just did this about 20 minutes ago and my speakers sound great. I hope it works long term.

jteis

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2011
Intermittent crack sound from iMac i3, 1 yr old

My iMac i3 has the intermittent loud "crack" sound over the last 4 weeks, it happened 9 times, once 3 times in a row. It comes from the lower part of the computer, probably from the speakers. Apple Support suggested Hardware Test, and Reset PRAM and NVRAM. All is fine so far, but I am skeptical because the sound is unpredictable. Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.