Intel IMac won't boot this morning. . .

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by acrafton, Apr 19, 2006.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

Hey - the new iMac is 5 days old and this morning I get nothing but a black screen and the power light is on. . .tried rebooting, plug in/out. . .and nothing. It was set to auto shut down and then start this morning and there have been no system changes since I bought it.

Any ideas or do I need to pack it off to the Apple store?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Since it's so young, I wouldn't hesitate to take it back. You shouldn't be getting such serious problems so early on. :)

3. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

It is now working . . .

I removed the memory and replaced it and it works fine. . .very odd. I will keep my eye on it.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I just put RAM in my Intel iMac on Saturday. It's tricky to get in. I pushed it in and thought it was in but I've put in enough RAM to know that if your finger doesn't have an imprint of the edge of the RAM for at least 5 minutes after you put it in... you haven't pushed the RAM in all the way. :)

Most likely the RAM was just seated improperly and your computer didn't turn on to protect itself. Glad you could sort the problem out at home since sending it in/taking it back is always a pain no matter how short the duration.

5. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Always the bad aftermarket memory.

I just wonder why is it that it seems Macs are so much more likely to encounter aftermarket RAM issues then PCs?

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would agree with that but then again I only pay attention to the Mac side of the fence. Well... it's not really a side of the fence so much as an enclosure.