Intel iMacs are easy to update!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hvfsl, Jan 30, 2006.

1. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Just found an article at xlr8yourmac.com. It seems a guy in Japan was able to remove the 1.8Ghz Intel Core dual cpu from his iMac and replace it with a 2Ghz one.

The iMacs cpus aren't soldered like in previous models, so anyone who has upgraded a PC should be able to upgrade the Mac.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

While this is great news I'd like to know about the graphics card and what are the possibilities that we'll be able to Merom in the current iMacs?

4. hvfsl thread starter macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Well the iMacs have the graphics chip soldered onto the motherboard, so you can't do much about that.

Also I doubt you will be able to put anything other than another core dual in the iMac because the EFI chip won't support them. Although one of the Mac upgrade companies could come out with a EFI upgrade in the future.

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You can't because 1. the chip is attatched to the logic board so you can't take it off 2. Apple uses the mini DVI and no one else sells a video card with that connecter.

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the chip is not soldered to the board, it's in a socket, and yet the graphics card is on the logic board and is thus impossible to upgrade.

7. nylon macrumors 6502a

nylon

8. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

... I wonder if you can do this on the MacBook Pro?