Intel iMacs: X1600 GPU is a Mobility chip

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HiRez, Jan 15, 2006.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Looks like Apple is in fact using the Mobility version of the X1600 in the new iMacs. Bummer. Compare the actual shot of the guts of the iMac (thanks, kodawarisan!):
    [​IMG]

to the ATI product shot of the X1600 Mobility:
    [​IMG]

Same chip (looking at the components around the chip). For comparison, here's an ATI product shot of the desktop X1600 chip:
    [​IMG]

I understand why they would use a Mobility chip with the iMac's space considerations, but I think it's a bit deceptive of Apple, as they specifically say "X1600 Mobility" in their specs for the MacBook Pro, but only say "X1600" in their iMac specs, which might lead one to believe the iMac uses a full desktop X1600.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2632

3. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

Looks like the non mobility to me

EDIT - nope - see what your saying

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had trouble getting onto Kodawarisan's site, so have a mirror. As for the GPU itself, it's a shame that the pic is blurry - I'm trying to make out all the text. Done a few Google searches for the parts I can read, but have found nothing helpful yet.

5. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I still find this hard to believe. Are both x1600 chips PCIe because Apple is claiming that the iMac one is PCIe. Or is this just standard now in both desktops and laptops?

So basically the new Intel iMacs are just laptops with big screens?

And honestly, does it matter to anyone here?

There's an interesting editorial by David Lazarus in the San Francisco Chronicle about what people are thinking about Intel inside of Macs. Here's a few blurbs from that:

"It's a computer, for goodness sake, a plastic box that does lots of really cool things. Does it matter any longer how it does them?

Who cares if the box has bits and pieces made by Intel or IBM or Samsung or any one of thousands of other electronics manufacturers?

Reality check: You pick up a phone and you get a dial tone. Do you honestly care how this happens?

Even more miraculous, you place a bag of kernels in a microwave oven and you get popcorn, without any visible heat source. Can you even begin to understand the physics of that? Do you really want to?

A computer's no different."

He went on to interview random people walking the street and inside of Macworld to see if they care what is inside of a computer and the usual answer was "no, as long as it works and does what I want".

Read about that here.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yes.

The logo on the chip does look like the Mobility Radeon one. While fuzzy, it does look like two lines of text there.

7. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Obviously, yes... This is a computer forum, what do you expect?

To ask whether it matters to anyone is futile — like farting against thunder.

9. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

IF they are using mobility chips in the desktop they are being snakey about it - which is worse than actually just putting it in and telling us about it.

[​IMG]

it clearly differentiates between the two models on the site - in more than one place

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hahaha! I love the way you put it... :D:D

irmongoose

11. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

as it performs a lot less well - then yes, or course.

its miss-selling

what if you bought a car and it has a 2L instead of a 2L turbo. would it matter to you?

12. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

does anyone know conclusively that the mobility is worse in anything other than clock speed? this isn't necessarily a bad thing; apple would have down-clocked the card if they used a desktop chip.

or am i just an idiot?

14. erickg macrumors 6502

Don't really even need to see the logo, judging from the little metal thingies (for lack of a more technical term :) ) it's definitely the mobility version.

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Those do match, but components on boards can move over revisions.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've just read ATI's press releases. Just like Apple, they say that the MBP uses a Mobility Radeon X1600, and that the iMac uses a Radeon X1600.

Edit: Apple's Game Hardware page also just says X1600.

17. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

linky? :p

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Might help :)

I've edited it into my previous post.

19. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well it's definitely a Mobility... unless Kodawarisan has posted a fake...

irmongoose

Attached Files:

20. HiRez thread starter macrumors 603

HiRez

I can't read the reverse text under the ATI logo (that might be in Japanese or other Asian language), but I think the rest reads:

216PLAKA24FG
    N32440.00
    0552AAY
    TAIWAN

I can't find anything via Google either though.

21. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i suppose someone should get on to apple to ask?

ive taken screen shots of everything btw :p

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Done, but Apple AU probably don't know anything, so somebody else should do so too.

23. shanmui1 macrumors member

note that the x1600 mobility is the slowest of all the x1600s. The fastest is x1600 XT 256mb, which loses to the Geforce 6800 GS 256mb in it's price range and class. www.guru3d.com has some benchmarks comparing the two. Guess the 128 bit memory interface is a problem for the x1600 XT, despite it's fast clock.

To top off you only get 128mb ram in the 17 inch iMac.

24. odedia macrumors 6502a

The thing that puzzles me is, what would they do such a thing? I'm pretty darn sure that the mobility version is much more expensive then the desktop version, due to the heat control it needs. Why would apple put something more expensive and then hide it?

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Because the hardware differences between the imac & macbook are very minimal, in fact they are probably identical and it was cheaper to buy bucket loads of 1 chipset than it was to order 50/50 ratio....

Tried sharpening the image in photoshop. Helped a little. So I took the mobilty logo and decreased it size.res and put it over the other image at 50% opacity and it pretty much looked identical. Not very scientific, but it does indeed look like the chip is the same.