Intel Inside Future iPhone?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 3, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DigiTimes cites OEM sources stating that Apple is considering using Intel's Moorestown mobile Internet device platform processor in a future iPhone.

Intel had demoed an iPhone-like device based off the platform, due in 2009, at the latest Intel Developer Forum (Engadget). Like the Samsung ARM processor currently used, Moorestown is a system-on-chip design, and will combine processing abilities such as the CPU, graphics, video and memory controller onto a single chip. Moorestown can also support standardized communications capabilities such as Wi-Fi, 3G and WiMAX.

Raw Data: Intel Press Release of Moorestown

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502

iphone 2.. here we come!

3. macrumors regular

"Wi-Fi, 3G and WiMAX" add GPS
    What's not to like!

Bring it on!!!

4. macrumors 6502

mozmac

I think that would be sweet. However, should Apple put too much dependence on one chip maker? We saw what happened in the PPC days.

5. macrumors 6502a

Bonte

For me this is the main reason Apple is not allowing 3P apps, switching to new hardware is much easier now and no legacy code to support.

6. macrumors P6

twoodcc

yep! here we go!

the iPhone does need GPS, and wireless-n would be nice

7. Editor emeritus

longofest

I agree 100% on gps, but why 802.11n? Its not like you're doing file transfers. The only reason I have in mind is so that the rest of my network can remain in N mode when the iPhone connects.

8. macrumors 68000

Antares

Talk about putting all of your eggs into one basket. Would it be a good thing for Apple to rely on only one chip manufacturer? I suppose it would make it easier for the company to write code for a single, consistent platform (other than something additional, like ARM) but......

9. macrumors 6502a

so if the iPhone gets officially opened to 3rd party apps, does this mean something similar to Universal Binaries for the iPhone?

If so this would be great, as developers could design for all Apple Phones at the same time, and older models would not get left in the dust to quickly.

10. macrumors regular

I doubt this would be for the iPhone 2 as this chip doesn't even come out until 2009. Maybe version 3 after version 2 with 3G next year is what I'm thinking.

11. macrumors 6502

Bring it on..... in 2009 ?

12. macrumors regular

Do you think the market would tolerate a larger form-factor iPhone (an "iPhone Plus" or Pro or whatever), similar in thickness to, say, a Blackberry, if it had all of those functions -- GPS, more memory, etc.?

13. macrumors 6502

It will be interesting to see if Intel can beat the 2009 time frame.

The 2008 Christmas buying season is a huge motivation for them and it's hard to believe that they won't beat their schedule in order to take advantage of it.

14. macrumors 68040

elppa

iPhone is the mobile computing platform for this decade.

Developments in hardware are part of the progression, Apple have stated they will do 3G, so this doesn't surprise.

The relationship between Intel and Apple is great, a real positive one (who said Apple can't partner :confused:) so I'm not surprised they are looking to Intel to provide them with their next chipset.

15. macrumors G5

Consultant

I want Wireless N on iPhone so the network can stay N too, but currently true wireless-N is expensive and requires multiple antennas to operate. So probably not right away yet. We can always hope though.

16. macrumors 68000

Awesome!

Now this is a good rumor.

I bet this will be a 3rd gen iphone though. Anyone holding out for this one might have to wait a while.

Prob. one more "big iphone arm" upgrade in between IMO.

17. macrumors G5

Consultant

18. macrumors 6502a

I definitely hope they release a 3g iPhone before 2009. That is the only thing that is stopping me from getting one.

19. Retired

psychofreak

I predict that I'll get the 3rd gen iPhone...as I'll be old enough to want something of that caliber and it will be awesome :)

Whether it has Intel inside or not isn't such a bother for me right now as I don't know what the other options will be...

20. macrumors 6502a

I beleive the speculation is that Apple have avoided opening up the iPhone so they will not have to support legacy apps when they switch to the intel platform.

I think it is simpler than that. Apple rushed the iPhone out the door. Sure thay has a bunch on interesting tech, but not as a choerent product. They had to pull developers off Leopard to hit their launch date - and even then there appear to be issues with ill-conceived features and functionality (some of which got fixed in the update). The simple answer to the question of why there is no dev kit for the iPhone/iTouch platform (aside from AJAX web apps)? Apple just didn't have the time to mess with anything but the bare essentials.

It will be Bootcamp all over again. Lots of third party hacking about, then suddenly Bam! iPhone Dev Kit at 2008 (or 2009) dev con.

Apple products "Just work". Problem is the new iPhone/iPod Touch platform "Only just works". It needs time to bed in and have Apple polish it some more.

21. macrumors regular

I think this is a great move. the ARM processor is too slow anyway for today's iPHone.

Just scroll through a song list in the iTunes store, the sluggish FPS is annoying..

that, and the photo viewer will then finally be able to process full rez photos as opposed to the jacked up low resolution that iTunes "optimizes" them to before copying them to the iPHone.

22. macrumors 6502

RossoA

Remember US contracts are 24 months, it kinda makes sense that Apple would release the 2nd Gen iPhone just before everyone's contracts run out so they can get a new one.

Ah well, I'm still waiting for Nov. to get my 1st Gen! :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 6502

And the default ringtone will be the Intel sound.

24. macrumors member

700MHz

2009...Just in time for all that beautiful spectrum to be opened up by the FCC. :)

25. macrumors 65816

Finally, all the posibilities of any Mac OS X laptop or desktop on a handheld device. AWESOME! We need tons for our University.