Intel issues before I buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ajo, Oct 11, 2006.

1. ajo macrumors 6502

What should I know software wise before I get an Intel mac.

Is there anything extra that I need to spend?

Or is this worth waiting for updates etc?

Thanks

ajo

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Depends on which Intel based Mac you are planning on purchasing. The Mac Mini, Mac Pro, and iMac were all just recently updated- so now would seem to be a safe time to purchase one of those Macs. MacBooks & MacBook Pros should be updated in time for the holidays. :)

As far as issues, I think most of the bugs have been ironed out, not all, but most of them. :)

3. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I would recommend getting at least 1GB of RAM, especially if you're going to run programs that aren't Universal yet (MS Office, Photoshop, etc). It'll make a pretty sizeable difference in performance, and it's not too hard to do yourself, or too costly either.

Other than that, and the Macbook/Pro issue mentioned above, there's nothing to worry about. Come on in, the water's fine...

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I have to second livingfortoday's advice, go with at least 1GB of RAM, more if you can afford to. :)

5. laidbackliam macrumors 6502

mainly the ram issue.

i had 512 for a while, but now that i've got 1.5gigs of ram, its so much better. i didn't think it would help that much, but everything seems so much snappier.