Intel launches dual core "Pentium D" for home desktop mark...

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, May 27, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  3. Administrator emeritus

Jun 28, 2002
    North Central Colorado
    Maybe Apple went to talk to Intel about how they did this, so they could bring a little brochure back to IBM with them and say "this is what we should be doing now... don't you think?"
  4. macrumors member

maybe a switch to Intel wouldnt be so bad after all, especially since it appears that IBM only cares about gaming consoles. BAH!!

and while im ranting...

Those "new" powermacs are looking pretty archaic. The things are bigger than and almost as expensive as a KIA, they needs a radiator to keep them cool, still can only fit one optical drive, and has a flawed firewire bus that is slower than a powerbooks'. wtf is buying those things??

anyways, i bet we see a dualcore Mini b4 we ever find a dualcore 970 in a powermac.
  5. macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
  6. macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK

If i may quote the holy scriptures of Python...
  7. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
  8. macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2003
    .......... :( so Apple fall even further behind.
  9. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    There's another fun new feature in those Pentium D chips, Microsoft DRM. Maybe waiting a little while longer for that 970MP isn't so bad.
  10. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    wow, dual cores at 2.8 to 3.2 GHz.....

Bleh, that's painful - I was really expecting that to be an Apple announcement, not Intel when it finally happened....

D :(
  11. macrumors 68000

Oct 27, 2003
    guys guys, you're missing the bright side!!

"The Pentium D processor and supporting chips will target home computer users, particularly those who run more than one program at once or have software that is designed to take advantage of the extra computing horsepower of the chips' dual cores."

Anyone else get a laugh out of that? :D

*plays happily with his 1.25ghz G4 powerbook and his 10 apps open*

12. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Not a word about AMDs dual core? anyone with a socket 939 is in luck :D
  13. macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    I'm one amongst many of Mac users out there that are hoping IBM/Apple can pull something amazing out of the bag. Then I remind myself that I'm typing this on a Powermac G4 Sawtooth 400Mhz which runs Indesign, Photoshop, all the iApps, Illustrator to mention a few, and without any major beachballing. Now I may be wrong but would a M$ PC of the same era be able to hold its head high in this G4s company?
    Saying that though, the G5 is a monster....can't believe how huge it is, or probably (if I manage convince 'er indoors to upgrade to one :( ) how fast it is. One day...sigh. Currently 6 apps open, transferring 8 GB to various HD's, iChatting, surfing, sorting 24000 photos, listening to iTunes, checking mail...not a beachball insight. Now thats the sort of advertising Apple need to produce but on a G5 iMac with 20 apps open.
  14. macrumors 6502

May 2, 2002
    Southern Oregon
    More than one program?

Sheet -

We are using a DP 2.5 here and I have at the moment: 19 apps open

9 of which are hard core heavy duty graphics applications. Only slow down I really see is in Safari.. but it could be because of the desktop switching application I have running - its a beta.. who knows. Other than that - its pretty smooth sailing.
  15. macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Newsflash: Dual core Pentiums suck donkey nuts. It's the dual core offering from AMD which is really cause for concern. Those things are fa-ast.
  16. macrumors newbie

May 11, 2005

Are you implying that someone on an Intel-based laptop couldn't do the same? :mad:
  17. macrumors 6502

May 18, 2003
    Rehoboth Beach, De
    I've got Panther running on a 6 year old Lombard, with a G4 upgrade to 433, it works. I'm not leaping tall buildings in a single bound but it works quite well. In the time I've owned this PB, my neighbors ( yes plural ) have gone through 2 upgrade cycles on their Inte/MS boxes. Value, who's was better? I have added additional Macs for the kids, so not that I'm a hold out.
  18. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I think that the implication is that OS X does better task switching than XP. My experience on numerous OS X and XP systems is that using multiple apps more or less "simultaneously" is smoother on a Mac. Not terribly smoother, but noticeably so. Plus, organization and navigation of multiple apps and multiple windows within apps is easier in OS X. I use both OS's daily, so, while this is just my opinion, it's an educated one.
  19. macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005

freescale has its but in gear. its e600 is avalible dual core, unfortunatly it is not in a single apple computer.
  20. macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2003
    O Donny Boy
    "Next month, Intel rival Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD) is expected to launch its first dual-core chips for mainstream desktop computers. AMD has already launched a dual-core chip for servers."

It's right there fella!!!

Besides, personally I'm more interested in what AMD has to offer than Intel, and is it not right that AMD & IBM have fairly close ties, eg. IBM fab labs produce AMD chips, or ex-AMD engineers now work for IBM... something like that!! :rolleyes:
  21. macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Can it be done? Sure. Is it done very well? Not really. More of a Windows issue than Intel. Though those AMDs are pretty nice. Not sure I'd want OS X running on x86, but I'm sure Apple is keeping their options open for PPC providers.
  22. macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2004
    I used to find every single app on my iBook 900MHz G3 which was around 66 (DVD was also playing along with two gameboy advance emulators) and run them all at the same time. This made my dock touch both sides of the screen. Then I would do an Expose of all the windows open and laugh at my wintel friends :D
  23. macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location
    I'll start to get worried when Intel and AMD have these things announced for 4-6 months, but IBM has not yet announced them. Until then, I'm not too concerned. :)

WHat's the main difference between a P4 with HT, and a dual core P4? Isn't it very easy for programs written that take advantage of HT also to take advantage of dual-core?
  24. macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2003
    In a word. No. Basically, hyperthreading is a way of switching between process threads in an efficient manner. Unfortunately, Windows is anything but efficient, and HT often ends up slowing things down more than up b/c it makes windows go ape. Dual Core processors, require specifically written multithreaded applications. These applications must be complete rewrites. There are add-ons, a la Photoshop for the daystar machines back in the mid 90s, but that only accelerates certain processes. Oh, and multithreaded programming is a bitch. Furthermore, I will guarantee you that most of the excrement factories that embody the greater portion of wintel developers will not invest the effort in Multithreaded Application programming for a long time, so this advent is nigh on useless ATM.
  25. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    Not really very interested in Intel's dual core offerings. They're "slow" and too hot. The only thing they have going for them is that they're available at a lower price point than AMD offerings, if you don't need the speed.
    I'm interested in a relatively quiet system and good gaming performance, so AMD has the advantage... and the DRM thing doesn't exactly help Intel's cause.