Intel Launching Woodcrest, Conroe and Merom Early?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

TG Daily claims that faced with increasing competitive pressure from AMD, Intel has accelerated the launch of its upcoming processors.

The upcoming processors include Woodcrest, Conroe and Merom. All three are now expected to be shipping "in volume" in Q3 2006. This could mean that processors would be available as early as June or July of this year.

Conroe processors are Intel's Desktop CPU from their Core microarchitecture. They come in a 65-nm process and are speculated/rumored to be used in Apple's upcoming Intel PowerMac revisions.

Meanwhile, Merom is Intel's 64-bit mobile processor which is said to have better performance than the current Core Duos with the same power consumption. The Merom processor is also said to be pin compatible with the current Core Duo processors. Merom processors would presumably be used in upcoming MacBook Pros.

Little has been said about Apple's plans (if any) for Woodcrest, which is Intel's server-targeted processor.

2. macrumors 68020

sunfast

This can only be a good thing (but I bet some people are going to rate it negative). This means we may be on Rev B Merom by the time I buy a new portable!

3. macrumors 68000

Bern

Like I said time and again, best to wait it out and get a Rev B or Rev C MacBook Pro.

4. macrumors 6502

And somebody already has!! I know comments have been made in the past but I really don't get it... Why, oh why, oh why would such a story receive a negative?!?

Should pull said individual up and demand they give a valid argument!!

Anyway, back to the story...

Personally looking to the future of an all Intel line-up, and a future where I can safely purchase an Intel desktop machine -- I'm desperately trying to avoid the use of PowerMac here as I know it ain't gonna be called such!!

Great stuff... ;)

5. macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I voted positive, but I can see how some folks might be bitter if they just shelled out big bucks for the MBP thinking Core Duo would be top of the line for the rest of this year, as was originally thought. I don't agree with this line of thinking, by the way, I'm just speculating.

6. macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, as noone ever gave an explanation to what the ratings mean, you could also interpret a negative rating as "I don't believe it". That would make it totally possible to vote like this.

7. macrumors newbie

That's tosh if ever I read it. AMD can't even afford to fully transition their fabs right now to the latest process. By the time they do (get to 65nm) Intel will be looking at 45nm

Potentially this could be talking about the AM2 platform, whenever that comes out. Unlike the current generation though AMD may not beat Intel (and conroe) in the high performance stakes this time round, or it will be close.

I think Intel just want to get something new out sooner to help with sales.

8. macrumors 6502a

We should see an invitation from Apple any moment now for a media event that will introduce "Fun, new, Xserves with 64-bit Woodcrest Core processors... NEXT TUESDAY!"

Just in time for students to get Xserves as graduation presents.

And of course, Xserve socks.

9. macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I believe the days when a Mac could be top of the line for a year or more are over. The intel transition put an effective stop to that.

10. macrumors 68020

pknz

Hopefully the Woodcrest chip comes in a wood finish. That would be 'hella sweet.'

11. macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

You make it sound like a bad thing. But it's a brilliant thing - all it means is that computers are getting better, faster.

12. macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

Schweeet. This might mean I will be able to retire my PM G4 MDD as a mail/file server around September. I just hope they don't change the casing of the PM. I like the clean design. Since the new PM most likely will come with PhotoBooth, I wonder if that means we will see a new cinema display line with integrated iSight.

13. macrumors regular

the.snitch

I cant wait till the 64bit meroms get into the macs. It may convince me to upgrade to a MBP. And we are getting closer to the day when every mac will be 64-bit :cool:

14. macrumors regular

So I guess we'll probably see a preview of Conroe-based Mac Pros (?) at WWDC? In August I believe? Maybe Woodcrest Xserves "coming soon"? That would also allow Apple to brag "We said we'd finish transitioning before WWDC '07 - well, we're a year early! Watch our stock!" :D

15. macrumors 6502a

Hopefully Crest comes out with wood flavored toothpaste and dental floss made out of wood chips.

It just makes sense.

16. macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I do not perceive this as a bad thing, not at all. On the contrary, I am very pleased that I don't have to argue that a 7 (G4 ?) year old chip is still competitive...:)

17. macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

The news is definitely good. I'm waiting on the baddest Merom-based MacBook Pro that I can buy but that won't be until September. Given this news I hope that not only will new MacBook Pros be available sooner this year but that any supply problems are eliminated by the time that I can buy and any bugs that are discovered with the computers themselves.

A few short months still seems to long to wait...but I'm damned excited.

18. macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... a main selling point for Macs is that "on average, they last 2-3 times longer than winBlows pEEcEEs", and that may not seem true much longer because of Intels quick processor update cycles.

Although, technically it still is true, because the OS, and the seamless integration between the hardware, is what keeps Macs humming along for much longer than winBlows pEEcEEs that need replacement due to either bargain bin parts, or especially, the unbearable system performance degradation inherent in winBlows' antiquated, registry based OS.

I see Dr. Gargoyles's point, but like "Max on Macs", I don't necessarily see this a s a bad thing.

There's a big difference between a Mac user who wants to upgrade every 2 years, and the typical winBlows Luser that has to upgrade every to years.

19. macrumors 6502a

its nice that in theory you can upgrade a mac mini etc with a Merom

I am looking to upgrade my powermac early 2007 and i am hoping for conroe or maybe woodcrest in that.

but a 17" MBP with Merom might be nice

20. macrumors 6502

Well this just changed my plans.... Anyone want to buy an almost new 20" iMac intel???

21. macrumors member

Can I just say that it's kind of annoying when people spell out PC's as "pEEEcEEEs"? Or purposely mispelling any word(s) to be cool, for that matter.

Anyways, now that nasty bit of business is off my chest, on to the post! I have been hoping (read: praying every night) that this would come true! I'm selling my current laptop (an Asus 15") to my sister when I get back to the states in July, and I *have* to buy or at least order a new school computer by August in time for the new school year. I hated the idea of thinking that I would buy a core duo only to have the Merom's released 1-2 months later.

Do you guys think Merom will be put into the Mini straight away? That's what I'm planning on buying, along with an NEC 20WMGX2 20" LCD.

22. macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

My post was just state of the fact. As you wrote yourself, the much faster update cycles of intel will effectively render a top-of-the-line computer "old" much faster. However, this does not prevent the computer to be perfectly functionable for years to come.
    Eventhough my post perhpas can be interpreted as slightly negative, it wasn't meant as such as you can see from my response above.

23. macrumors 68000

THX1139

OK, yeah, that's cool if you have the money to spend...but for the rest of use, it means Mac machine will depreciate quicker and we will have to replace the whole machine to keep up (if you need the speed). In the PC world where professionals (and gamers) rely on the fastest machines they can get their hands on, they can upgrade their machines by swapping out the motherboard and replacing the chip. Their machines have a longer shelf life due to upgradablity. In the Intel Mac world, we might be stuck with something that is "old" within 6 months unless Apple lets us replace the motherboard and chip. Having said that, one of the reasons previous Macs have held their value so well it that they were slow on generational releases. A two year old G5 is still a pretty darn good machine, but the switch to Intel is going to change that. PC's on the other hand, are practically worthless for resale if you keep them more than a year. Most PC builders run their machines into the dust, but they can get at least 3 or 4 life cycles via upgrading components before they need to start over.

24. macrumors 65816

The question is not only if Apple is interested in Woodcrest for their xServe/enterprise/server product, but more like... IS APPLE F---ING INTERESTED IN THE ENTERPRISE/SERVER MARKET AT ALL ANYMORE? Why they heck don't they try to get more into the enterprise market? I'd love to get rid of the Dell servers at my credit union's data center and switch from Active Directory to and Apple solution - IF THEY F---ING HAD A WORTHY SOLUTION! I've never used Open Directory but I do use Active Directory and it doesn't seem like Apple can compete in that area. But why don't they try more? They don't seem to promote their enterprise solutions much. Oh well, I'll stop my rant now and go back to sleep. :mad: :mad: :mad:

25. macrumors newbie

hmm i've just ordered my imac 20" and its arriving in a few days.

What are the advantages of merom?

Is it worth the returning my imac.

hmmm..... this is interesting