Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fahlman

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2003
alfismoney said:
the 'core' chips had 34 errors reported in their processing architecture within four weeks of launch.
Every processor ships with errata, or "errors reported in their processing architecture". For instance the IBM PowerPC 750FX shipped with 24 errata. You're just looking for a reason to bash Intel. You thought you had found one, but were wrong. Keep looking.

MacRumorsReader

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
Somebody "quantify" all of this for me:

I went from a PB 1.5 to a MBP 2.16 and the performance gain was astounding. Some tests put it on par with the Dual 2.0 G5.

So as far as numbers go, the Core Duo is as fast as a Dual G5 (or twice as fast as a 1.5 G4). Huge gain for the Apple laptop world.

But what do the numbers look like for the other machines? Are we going to be able to double the performace of Apple Towers with simple chip placement? Or will it be percentage gains like 10% better or 15% better?

Because it's looking like the real reason for Apple to release portables first is simple: Show the greatest jump first and then update the smaller increases.

Am I wrong? Somebody baffle me with the numbers.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Name Game

milo said:
Not to mention Jobs saying "we're done with power".
Mostly likely Mac Pro. I'd love to see a mini tower but can't think of a catchy name for it.

Mac mini
iMac
MacBook?
MacBook Pro
MacTop Pro™ (play on desktop?)?

It just hits me as I am typing this out... they won't go iMac Pro will they? :O

My ¢2.

MacRumorsReader

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2006
I'd like it to just be called a Mac (and Mac Pro)

.... and then the Cinema displays can be renamed to MacCinema and MacCinema Pro. :rolleyes:

tonyl

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2006
With some Conroe ES samples floating around, I believe it'll hit stores earlier, as well as Intel PM.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
itguy06 said:
Tha's ASSuming Intel will use power and have higher performance in the shipping silicon. And ASSuming AMD stays right where they are today.

Your'e forgetting that Intel has not had anything really competitive since the Athlon came out - P4 is a joke, Itanic is a flop, and the Core really offers little gains compared to AMD.

AMD has been increasing market and mindshare lots in recent years while puttingout superior products. It's refresing seeing the best starting to win in the market.

Now if Apple would just follow suit (and go AMD), all will be great! :)
Uh, Core doesn't gain much on AMD?
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=2
http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2716&p=3

Well, there's Conroe beating AMD's top chips, which are also overclocked, so I'd say that's an awesome gain. Apple didn't go AMD because they saw that Intel was actually doing things right now.

As well, AMD's AM2 has been shown to be nothing new, except DDR2 support which isn't helping anything.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2741&p=3

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Catfish_Man said:
We'll see. Xeon pricing has traditionally been pretty steep, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple avoiding the server chips when possible. It'd sure be fun to play with though :)
Woodcrest is positioned as both a server and workstation chip, with the Glidewell chipset for the workstation version. The inquirer expects prices as follows:

The Woodcrest 80W series includes the 5160, which is a 3GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz system bus processor; the 5150, which clocks at 2.66GHz; the LV 5148 at 2.33GHz; the 5140 at 2.33GHz; the 5130 at 2GHz; the 5120 at 1.86GHz and the 5110 at 1.60GHz. ... Intel has piced up the Woodcrests for the third quarter launch, with the 5148 costing $520, the 5160 $850, the 5150 $700, the 5140 $450, the 5130 $320, the 5120 $255 and the 5110 $210.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30511

On the other topic, anyone for TowerMac, HyperMac or UberMac?

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
two questions:
1) what's the likelihood of seeing Merom appear in the 15" MBPs? I'm quite sure it'll be in the 17-inchers eventually...but do you think that's gonna be a pro-er version? Or will Apple stick Merom in all the MBPs? ...I can't wait for the Rev B MBPs, man.
2) This is probably a stupid question, but why isn't the processor in the MBPs socketed/replaceable? i.e. what's the advantage of soldering it in? And is there any chance the later portables will be socketed? It seems like now that Apple has to keep up with Intel's quicker update cycle, they'd stand to benefit from letting users upgrade their computers. Shouldn't I have the ability to upgrade if i want?

and one comment:
Dr.Gargoyle said:
The intel transition might as you pointed out become expensive for Mac FPS gamers. But, if you like me prefer strategy games you can run a new game on an old machine. I really dont see any reason why you need to a FPS on a computer, when you have PS, Xbox...

Consoles are at best okay. I admit I'm no avid gamer, but the few I have played have ALWAYS been better on computer. Plus, if I can play Half Life 2 on a new Mac (which i need for reasons well beyond gaming) w/ Boot Camp, I'd MUCH rather do that than drop some $400 on an xbox 360 that MIGHT be able to keep up, graphically.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
DeathChill said:
...Well, there's Conroe beating AMD's top chips, which are also overclocked, so I'd say that's an awesome gain. Apple didn't go AMD because they saw that Intel was actually doing things right now.

As well, AMD's AM2 has been shown to be nothing new, except DDR2 support which isn't helping anything.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2741&p=3

I seem to recall Intel saying that Conroe was really something special from the beginning. So far, I tend to agree.

The beautiful thing about Mr. Jobs' vision of universal binaries is that 5-7 years from now if the PPC architecture starts beating both AMD and Intel, Apple could ostensibly go back to IBM or whoever wants to improve the PPC (or something else no one has heard of) processors. There could come a day when only the geeks and engineers talk about chipsets and processors (hard to fathom, but possible).

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
BlizzardBomb said:
Merom is replacing Yonah. Merom will take Yonah's price points so Apple will be expected to update.

I'm not so sure, BlizzardBomb. With the recent Yonah price drop, why not keep it around in a low(er) end notebook?

PS--Love your avatar. I can't wait for E3 so I can finally learn something about it!

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
BlizzardBomb said:
Merom is replacing Yonah. Merom will take Yonah's price points so Apple will be expected to update.

You're probably right, but I was just thinking it as a possibility as a way to distinguish the MacBook from the MacBook Pro. I mean, many cheaper PC laptops still use Celeron, right?

Yonah may find a place as the cheaper processor offering by Intel. If Merom takes the Yonah price points, why can't Yonah take lower price points? People still get a screaming mac, but the pro's get the hysterical ones.:)

Pure conjecture on my part, but it would seem odd to do away with such a good processor when crap ones still sell by the bucketload.

alfismoney

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2004
vagrant
fahlman said:
Every processor ships with errata, or "errors reported in their processing architecture". For instance the IBM PowerPC 750FX shipped with 24 errata. You're just looking for a reason to bash Intel. You thought you had found one, but were wrong. Keep looking.

perhaps you should've continued reading my post, or the exchange that followed. the errors reported in the core comment is not a bash at intel (i'm quite happy that apple is using intel chips and am aware that errors are inherent in making processors), i was simply pointing out that people might have been rating the news as negative because intel is pushing the first chip in the core line (essentially a public beta as far as its lifespan is shaping up at the moment, 6 months to replacement feels like a very short shelf life for a processor) out to bring in new products very very quickly. people usually like to be reassured that things have been properly tested and documented before they ship, which i have a feeling intel has done anyway.

if i wanted to bash intel (or apple, or amd, or ibm, or ms), i'm sure i could come up with a much better argument than them distributing a product that has documented workarounds.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
absurdio said:
2) This is probably a stupid question, but why isn't the processor in the MBPs socketed/replaceable? i.e. what's the advantage of soldering it in? And is there any chance the later portables will be socketed? It seems like now that Apple has to keep up with Intel's quicker update cycle, they'd stand to benefit from letting users upgrade their computers. Shouldn't I have the ability to upgrade if i want?

Consoles are at best okay. I admit I'm no avid gamer, but the few I have played have ALWAYS been better on computer. Plus, if I can play Half Life 2 on a new Mac (which i need for reasons well beyond gaming) w/ Boot Camp, I'd MUCH rather do that than drop some $400 on an xbox 360 that MIGHT be able to keep up, graphically.

Socketed takes up more space, if they did that in the laptop, it couldn't be as thin. They probably won't have any socketed in laptops unless the technology changes drastically.

The main advantage of consoles is price. A serious gaming computer will cost well more than a console will. Plus it's nice to be able to hook it to the TV and not be tying up the computer when you're playing.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It's not a big deal

Shadows said:
What are the advantages of merom?
Is it worth the returning my imac.

Now with the switch to Intel you can get a 10% faster computer every 6 months. So now matter what you buy or when you buy it, had you waited half a year you'd get something faster. The fast update cycle means each update is smaller.

Also least we all forget the CPU is not the computer. Doubling the the CPU speed does NOT make the computer twice as fast. You still have the disk and graphic card and RAM and the busses and so on. In fact only when the CPU activity meter is pegged out would a faster CPU by noticable. How often doe the CPU graph max out on your Mac?
On my system only graphic, video and audio file conversions do that.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
boncellis said:
I seem to recall Intel saying that Conroe was really something special from the beginning. So far, I tend to agree.

The beautiful thing about Mr. Jobs' vision of universal binaries is that 5-7 years from now if the PPC architecture starts beating both AMD and Intel, Apple could ostensibly go back to IBM or whoever wants to improve the PPC (or something else no one has heard of) processors. There could come a day when only the geeks and engineers talk about chipsets and processors (hard to fathom, but possible).
That's not going to happen. PowerPC doesn't really have too much of a future now that Apple's gone. PowerPC stuff will obviously still be made but there will be no push to get it faster, cooler, and just generally better. x86 chip makers (AMD, Intel) pour in money to R & D that IBM can't match. It's game over for PowerPC, basically.

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
boncellis said:
I'm not so sure, BlizzardBomb. With the recent Yonah price drop, why not keep it around in a low(er) end notebook?

PS--Love your avatar. I can't wait for E3 so I can finally learn something about it!

Well the price drop wasn't too significant around the low-end, and as far as I'm aware, the Dual-core 1.66Ghz Merom, is taking the Yonah Core Solo's price, so Apple should really push out the new technology. :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
j26 said:
You're probably right, but I was just thinking it as a possibility as a way to distinguish the MacBook from the MacBook Pro. I mean, many cheaper PC laptops still use Celeron, right?

Yonah may find a place as the cheaper processor offering by Intel. If Merom takes the Yonah price points, why can't Yonah take lower price points? People still get a screaming mac, but the pro's get the hysterical ones.:)

I agree, that makes perfect sense. 2.0 Ghz core duo macbook for $1299... mmmm.

DavidCar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Interesting quote re Woodcrest workstations

This is from a report on the workstation market:

A senior analyst for John Peddie says Intel's upcoming Woodcrest processor and Glidewell platform should allow Intel to "dramatically close the performance gap with Opteron, especially in dual-socket applications."

The full report is available for only $5,000.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/9768

kenn8theocho

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2006
Tucson, AZ
I need advice

This is my situation: I am a pc user looking to switch to a Mac notebook. I am considering getting a 12" pb on ebay for under 1200, but i have a few concerns. Do you think the laptop will be too old in a few years?? I want at least 3 years of satisfaction from my laptop. I don't want the new ibook that's coming out, because they will be rather pricy... and they fall in the ibook line. ShouldI go ahead and get the 12"? Will it keep me up to speed forat least 3 yrs.? I have no extra money to spend, and I want the amount that I do spend to pay of. Otherwise, I might have to go for a cheaper brand that I could easily update without killing my bank account. Anyone have any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.