Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mf2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
San Francisco
Now I am trying to hook up these to love birds and wondering how well they will do in a music making relationship.

How would this system run the rosetta version? Anyone using it?

Mac mini 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
Part Number: Z0D1
Mac OS X - U.S. English
Accessory kit
SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA950 with 64MB shared memory
120GB Serial ATA drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Also think I could buy a 7200 RPM 100gb Serial ATA and smack that in? If so any guides hiding around your computers anyone?

wilmor42

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2005
UK
urm.. logic wont work under rosetta, you'll need to fork out for the dual binary version my friend..

:rolleyes:

mf2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
San Francisco
mmmcheese said:
There are some external drives made to sit under the mac mini...they would be quicker, larger capacity, and you'd not have to open it up.

Where are these drives?

yeah isnt it a 49 dollar upgrade?

DO! any of you know of some mobile lcd screen where I can take the base off or they fold like the shuttle xp17?

:D

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
mmmcheese said:
There are some external drives made to sit under the mac mini...they would be quicker, larger capacity, and you'd not have to open it up.

Not to mention the fact that you won't be throwing a drive away. I would definitely get an external HDD. for both speed and cost concerns.

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
you can buy the crossgrade 7.2 version for $49 HERE.

The crossgrade is actually a FULL Universal Binary version of Logic 7 Pro (v7.2). All you'll need is your Logic XSKey and the Crossgrade DVD, and you're set.

Don't bother swapping the internal 2.5" hard drive in the mini. I bought an external 3.5" desktop hard drive for my parent's mini setup and have it connected to their mini via firewire. Besides, it's kinda taboo for you to save your audio projects on a boot drive. If the boot drive takes a dive, all your work goes with it. I recommend Newer Technology's MiniStack2. Check it out HERE. You can just buy the enclosure and source a cheaper hard drive elsewhere if you want to save a few bucks.

mf2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
San Francisco
mrgreen4242 said:
Save a few bucks, get the MiniStack from OWC, it's on special this week... http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/specials/, then add your own drive from newegg.com, you'll save $40+ at least this way.

This is awesome! So I would just hook up a USB cable to the mac mini up top? Also it doesnt say if it works with SATA ATA.. Any one know if that does?

An for a monitor that is easy to travel with. Do you gusy have any suggestions besides the expensive Shuttle XP17?

solidbreakz said:
you can buy the Logic Pro v7.2 PPC to Intel Crossgrade for $49 HERE.

Might cost a bit, but if you already have v7 for PPC and your XSKey, then why not spend the clam to run native on Intel?

So if I bought the new version of logic in the store I would still have to get the crossgrade? I was planning on getting logic express then moving up to logic pro in a few months.

jrk07 said:
Painful looking indeed, I agree with the other posters, get an external hard drive. Hope it runs sweet after you get it all set up, what do you use logic for if you don't mind me asking. (I know its for music, but do you compose music, edit, etc.)

I am a co-producer intern and I am switching from Cubase SX to Logic. Logic has a great support line cubase doesnt. Just community forums.

In a few weeks you should see my old 2004 electronica album on itunes. GNi - Confab Cartooning.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
mf2k said:
This is awesome! So I would just hook up a USB cable to the mac mini up top? Also it doesnt say if it works with SATA ATA.. Any one know if that does?

You would want to connect it with both a USB cable and a FW cable. The hard drive will work over the FW connection (much faster) and the USB cable will connect the built in USB hub on the unit. The FW cable will also connect it to the FW hub/repeater so you will have 2 more FW ports available for use.

You'll have to use an IDE drive with this unit, not a SATA. Get a 7200rpm 8mb (or 16mb, I suppose, but 8mb should be just fine) ATA/100 (or ATA/133) drive. Should be very cheap, like <$150 for 250gb or something like that. I think you can get an 80gb for about $65 now, if you don't need that much.

Speed wise this should be as fast as adding any 2.5" 5400 rpm drive (close to as fast as adding a 7200rpm 2.5" SATA, I'd guess) to the mini, plus cheaper to add large amounts of disk space.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
mf2k said:

I don't know of any Mac mini-style external drive case that supports SATA.

As for connecting it, stay away from USB 2.0 and connect it via FireWire.

edit: what mrgreen4242 said.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
mf2k said:

It SHOULD but you should check with the MiniStack seller/manufacturer to be sure. I remember reading that there are a few drives that were just a few mm to thick to fit in the MiniStack, due to it's tight design, etc etc. They SAY that Maxtor/WD will all fit, but Seagate, if I recall had a few drives that were a tad thick. If that big ole 500gb drive has an extra platter in there or something like that, well, I would just drop an email off to NewerTech or OWC and ask them about that model specifically.

:)

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
correct. I had a MiniStack v1 enclosure and successfully shoehorned a 300GB Seagate Barracuda drive into it. When I called OWC for cs on a RAM RMA I asked about the issue I had with the MiniStack. CS rep stated that Seagate drives don't fit. The fit wasn't pretty, but it worked. Perhaps the v2 ministack may have been redesigned to accomodate.

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
mf2k said:
So if I bought the new version of logic in the store I would still have to get the crossgrade? I was planning on getting logic express then moving up to logic pro in a few months.

All new Logic Pro versions for sale at the Apple Store are the Universal Binary v7.2. If you but it new, there's no need to crossgrade. $49 crossgrade exists only for existing customers with the PPC version that have recently purchased a new Intel Mac.

Are you a student? If so, you could pick up an Academic version of Pro for $499 as opposed to the $999 for the full retail version. However, I believe there is issues with upgrading with the academic version though. As in...you buy L7Pro Academic, you must pay for a full retail version 8 (when its released).

Also the Academic version User agreement states that you use the app for 'learning' and not profit.:rolleyes:

solidbreakz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2004
SF
If I were in your shoes (and I had at least a basic knowledge of Logic 6/7) I would foot for Pro and forget Express. Express has less features which MAY become of need to you down the road. Both versions have a very similar (if not identical) interface so you can learn Pro as you go, just as easily/difficult as if you were to learn Express.

mf2k

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2005
San Francisco
sintaxi said:
get an iMac. by the time you puchase the faster HD you are in that price range.
see i like to put the mac mini in my bag and have a monitor tote.. the image wont fit in any conventional place..

mac mini is like 400 cheaper and I can tote it in my bag and whore someones monitor or get a shuttle xp17 with the gobag. I mean does the hardrive speed affect logic THAT! much....

solidbreakz said:
If I were in your shoes (and I had at least a basic knowledge of Logic 6/7) I would foot for Pro and forget Express. Express has less features which MAY become of need to you down the road. Both versions have a very similar (if not identical) interface so you can learn Pro as you go, just as easily/difficult as if you were to learn Express.

I think your right.. I should foot it in the mouth for 999...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.