Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkunagi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
I've been reading a lot of threads arguing back and forth about the performance of the Duo vs. the Solo chip, but it's hard to decide what exactly will be adequate for my needs, so I figured I'd lay it all out here to see if you guys could simplify things a bit for me. I need a new system that will be plenty capable of using Creative Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign), light Final Cut Express editing and Studio 8. I don't mind it being run in rosetta for the time being, since I don't typically edit super huge photos. I do, however, want all of these things to run at a relatively decent working speed.

With that in mind, I'm thinking of going with a Solo upped to 1-2 gigs of RAM and a maxed out HD. Of course, I'll have firewire externals for scratch disks and FC usage. Would I be completely insane to invest in a Solo? Should I just go ahead and pick up the Dual for ~$200 more?

Thanks, everyone, in advance.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I'd venture a guess that your ram will be more important than the processor speed, at least until CS3 comes out. After that, its anyone's game. Probably a maxed out solo would run better than a non-maxed duo, but I'm sure someone will explain why i'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.