Intel Mac Mini upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by R.Youden, May 16, 2006.

  1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

    R.Youden

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    #1
    Please correct me if I am wrong but hasnt Apple traditionally had the same (or at least very similar) system spec in the mini and iBook? Now the MacBook is far more powerful will we see an upgrade to the mini which would make it a viabale alternative to the iMac. I am sure the mini sales suffer due to the large gap between itself and the iMac.
     
  2. p0intblank macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2005
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #2
    I'm getting a Mac mini soon, so I hope they're not updated soon... but if they are and it's worth the extra money, then I'll sell my mini and upgrade. :)
     
  3. milo macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #3
    I think the mini is due for an update fairly soon.

    I'd like to see them go to three configs. Keep the solo but drop the price back to $499. Drop the duo 1.6 to $599 or $699 and add a faster duo at $799.
     
  4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

    R.Youden

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2005
    #4
    Yeah I am looking at a mini too for a home media setup so the processor demand would not be too high but if I could also take the mini away and use as a normal computer then that would be great. I hope this is updated soon but I think they will wait untill August and I want to have purchased a mini within a month.
     
  5. combatcolin macrumors 68020

    combatcolin

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Location:
    Northants, UK
    #5
    New graphics card would be fantastic.

    If only for WOW
     
  6. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #6
    Not a chance after they kept GMA950 in the macbook.
     
  7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

    combatcolin

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Location:
    Northants, UK
  8. MacMan93 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2006
    #8
    I hope they drop the price to $499. I really liked that price point. Seeing the MacBok just being available with a Duo makes me think what Apple willl put in an updated Mac Mini!
     
  9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #9
    That config makes sense, but I think they would drop the solo altogether if the updated it.
     
  10. DrFrankTM macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    Location:
    Japan
    #10

    An all-multiprocessors line-up? Sounds like good brand management. Some people really don't need more than a solo, but they can always buy one on eBay. An all-multiprocessors line-up (Intel and PPC) would make Apple look like it's finally a *computer* company again...

    The big question I have is... when??? My screen should arrive on the 22nd. I wasn't expecting the MB to be that much faster than the Mini (or any faster at all, to be honest), so now I'm wondering if I should play that old wait-and-see again for a few days. A Mini Core Duo 2.0GHz would be pretty sweet!!! :D Decisions, decisions, decisions...
     
  11. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

    Vaphoron

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    Maryland
    #11
    I would like to see something similar too but I would hope they could do the $499 price point with a Core Duo since their prices have dropped.
     
  12. dr_lha macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    #12
    No. iBooks traditionally have better specs than Mac minis.
     
  13. milo macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    #13
    Drop the price AND upgrade to duo? That's taking the old $799 config and dropping it by almost half, doubt that would happen.

    Is anyone selling a duo machine for $499? What's the absolute cheapest duo machine you can buy right now?
     
  14. DrFrankTM macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2005
    Location:
    Japan
    #14
    Price drops on Core Duo to happen soon?

    Have they *already* dropped in price??? I thought the price drop were going to happen at the end of May or sometime in June. My guess is that the Mini will be bumped when *these* price drops happen, which could be soon. As of today, the T2500 (2.0GHz) is still over 400$US. A bump to a 1.83 might be more realistic, but who knows?

    I'm not waiting though. I know I'll be annoyed when the bump happens - probably some time in the next month, I would assume -, but I'm not going to wait. My screen has been delivered and it needs some lovin' *now*. I'll upgrade to Merom when it's been around for some time and the prices are decent. Maybe wait until Merom evolves into something that can't fit into my Mini and then buy the best and fastest Merom that will fit. That should give me a computer that will stay useful for a while... In the meantime, it's not like the 1.66 will be slow with 2GB of RAM.
     

Share This Page