Intel mac on powerpc network?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nitromaster, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2/SN359380002126483 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Ill be buying a macbook soon and was wondering how to connect it to a network of powerpc macs.
    My school has powerpc imacs .
    How do user accounts work?
    Would i be able to run programs from my hard drive while connected to this network or do i have to run all the programs under rosetta from the network?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As far as I know, networking Macs is a processor-agnostic task. All you need to do is connect the new Mac to the network and connect to other Macs in the network as you normally would (either via the Network area in Finder or using Go->Connect to Server).

As for running programs on other Macs, I do not know if this is possible, as I have never tested it.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You run programs on your Mac, regardless. Whether you are networked or not doesn't change that, and Rosetta has nothing to go with networks.

Once you are on a network, if you mount a network volume (server, or shared folder on another machine) it shows up as a "disk" volume, if you open or launch something from that, it will run from that location, but 'on' your machine.

Keep in mind that just because you can see it on the network you may not be able to run it - you may be lacking necessary application support or libraries on your machine. And certainly no Classic programs will run.

All of this is subject to modification if your school network uses some form of network management system which forces machines to log into the network as a user and restricts what can be done.

4. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2/SN359380002126483 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Heres the current setup with one intel imac:
    All the macs are connected to some sort of server,when using a powerpc mac there is 40 gb of hard drive space but there is 120 gb on the intel mac.
    So they boot the os from seperate drives but share the same users,groups and application folder.
    Anyone know how to boot from one drive but have users etc on another drive?Thanks

5. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You wouldn't want your MacBook to boot off the school's network. It would be easier to use it as-is and just connect to the network for internet/file sharing/printer services. Even for this, you may need to consult the tech facilitator (or equivalent), but if you don't need wireless its likely just a matter of plugging it in to a ethernet jack..

Its more likely the school's machines boot off their own drives, and users login to a network account on a server.

Get the MacBook though, they're awesome.