Intel Mac QuickTime Plugins

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by XIII, Feb 25, 2006.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Ok - why do no QuickTime plugins work?

I have tried DivX, which appeared to install ok, but doesn't work. But Xvid and DivX components don't work either. Also, Flip4Mac WMV doesn't work.

Anyone have an solutions/ideas?

Thanks

2. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

Because none of the QT plugins are Intel binaries?
    ...and because Rosetta cannot translate PowerPC plugins for use in Intel applications. :p

Solutions:
    * Wait for the developers to release plugins compiled for Intel.
    * Compile the Xvid Component yourself (sources available on the website).

3. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

How would I go about compiling it?

Thanks

4. adese macrumors member

adese

yeah if you look in one of the wikipedia articles about the switch, one of the things that will NOT work with rosetta no matter are QT plug-ins, you will most likely have to wait until they trickle over.

here is a divx6 plug-in for intel build: http://labs.divx.com/node/76

I personally have been waiting a while for flip4mac to release their wmv plug in, they say it will be soon, whatever that means.

5. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

Thanks. DivX is ok, but it crashes Front Row 60% of the time. I guess we need another Beta.

Oh well, its just a waiting game. Thanks all..

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Need a sticky for this

I think we need a sticky for this topic, it comes up almost everyday.

Try launching your universal applications, let's say Quicktime, under Rosetta by checking the appropriate box in "Get Info" window. Then, I'd expect your PPC plug-ins to work properly, even though your application will slow down a bit due to Rosetta.

You could even copy Quicktime or Safari to another location, add "_rosetta" to its name and make it so that it launches under rosetta all the time. It will use the same bookmarks or preferences as the original one. Then you could just launch Rosetta version when let's say you need your real player plugin for Safari without enabling and disabling the rosetta checkbox for speed.

In any case, I'd use VLC for wmv content. They have experimental intel Mac binaries of it at:

http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/macosx-intel/

It worked quite well for me except for VCD's last weekend and I believe Feb 19 version fixed that problem, too. It can play more file types right out of the box than Quicktime. It is open source and free, what more can you ask for? :)

7. LordRPI macrumors newbie

We have just released a second beta of our Mac Player that has a universal binary decoder component which fixes the main crashing bug: http://labs.divx.com/LatestMacPlayer

8. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Does this latest divx player update the divx plugin for quicktime as well?

9. LordRPI macrumors newbie

10. TAV macrumors regular

Flip4Mac works fine. Not certain if you are referring to the installation or playability. There are work-arounds for both.

11. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

flip4mac will "work" if you run quicktime in rosetta mode. Of course, your definition of work needs to be somewhat flexible, because it runs extremely slow.

12. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

13. TAV macrumors regular

Yep - it certainly isn't "blazing..." - :D

14. bella92108 macrumors 68000

This is the same thing everyone keeps saying, it's silliness. I think the reason most, if not everyone GOT a macbook pro was because of the speed bump. I think it's dreadful that Apple doesn't have native Safari support for WMV files. Windows got with the program to include quicktime support in most of the new systems, not to mention support for most video specs. Apple is so narrow with their "Quicktime only" approach.

Does anyone know if the RealPlayer is universal yet?

15. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

been using the beta 0.8.5 version of VLC for x86 and it's been working fine.

16. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Gee thanks Mr. Obvious.... that hasn't been said a zillion times... what is VLC doing for you on webpages with embedded WMV\VIDEO files? IE Myspace... it will pop up a window saying YOU DONT HAVE WHAT YOU NEED TO PLAY THIS MEDIA TYPE WITHIN SAFARI, BUT CLICK OK AND WE'LL TAKE YOU TO AN OLD WEBPAGE THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD AN OLD, AND NON-INTEL-COMPLIANT PLUGIN THAT WILL DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOU... between this issue with video codecs within safari and the issue of non intel compliant drivers not allowing me to print and the not being able to get a high speed card to go into that damn ExpressCard slot which god only knows WHY it's there when the cell carriers wont even have a data card for it until the end of year, which means Q1 2007 at BEST... I'm almost to the point of regretting buying a MacBook Pro...

17. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

hmmm, why the attitude? you're the dumbass that bought a new computer without making sure it runs all the stuff you want, sherlock! why should safari have native support for wmv? because you want it? gimme a break. i'm glad you regret it...return to your crappy windows machine and get out of here..:rolleyes:

18. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Hmm, ok re-reading my post it may have been a tad overboard... but comon, I always defend the mac when people say "half the stuff you want to do you can't do"... so let's not support their side here. You should be able to view a video standard that 95% of the computers in the world work with. It'd be like Apple coming out with a computer without USB or without a word processor that will read .doc files... comon Apple

19. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I understand your pain. I bought a Intel Mini (Duo) for a media center PC, and I have frustrations about lack of support for codecs too. This is the problem with early adopters. It will take time (how long, I don't know) before we see Universal Binaries for everything. Just give it time, document all the things you can't do, wait. Eventually, everything will be OK. Things are starting to transition over. I don't know your specific printer, but fixes are being build as we speak for these things. The Express Card thing, I understand that people have invested in PCMCIA, and it hurts to not be able to keep using those devices, but when the hardware for Express Card comes out, you'll be happy again. Now, just sell your old PCMCIA stuff on Ebay, and enjoy. Look at it this way, when Apple first introduced FireWire, there was almost nothing that supported it. Now, it's standard on almost EVERY PC.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

i bought my mac mini fully knowing how bad it would be, but you got to admit, sometimes the apathy (or silence, or outright refusal, or just ignorance) shown by some developers about releasing unibins gets highly, highly irritating. And most of the time, a recompile and a few fixes doesn't do it, which is more of a reason to do it, so people can tell you these things.

Knowing how difficult it is to switch over to universal binaries, and how often times devs don't have the time/knowhow to do so, I shouldn't be bashing their efforts...I personally think Apple is part of the reason why, because a lot of devs can't always afford to buy Intel macs to test their stuff on, but honestly...it has been almost a year since the original intel announcement and the xcode version that had support for building unibins. Unfortunately there's no emulator that can run the intel version, but at least maybe they could have done everything apple outlined in the unibin programming guidelines, and release like a really really alpha version for intel mac users to try out and report bugs for. You know, because there ARE some people who don't mind bug testing.

I mean, in an ideal world, the devs would let people play around with the source code and alpha releases of unibins and help make the app compatible with intel machines. in the real world, a lot of devs don't want to do that, can't even be contacted, say they're not working on one because they can't afford an intel mac or because they're too busy, don't have ANY mention of one whatsoever, say they're not doing it because they don't know how, promise unibin support in a version far, far away (*cough* microsoft *cough*..hey, microsoft guys...do you even know how much ram ms word takes up? oh my bloody god it's so slow...i'm actually using KEYNOTE (!!!!) to view powerpoint stuff that doesn't display correctly in keynote, but do it anyway because powerpoint lags like a ******)...
    It is easier to play around and rebuild the existing app in a lot of cases.

Seriously, okay. Fine, you don't know how, you can't/don't want to do it...but do you realize the number of people who have Intel macs now? It's not just developers with their preview machines anymore. Apple's virtually replaced (not added to) half their line with Intel macs and it looks like they're hoping to replace the rest of their PPC macs with intels maybe at wwdc in august, but probably by the end of this year with merom and conroe, people have gotten them by the truckloads since January, Apple's not going to refine and improve Rosetta to the point that translating non-native code will be perfect, and it's not gonna go away if you just ignore it.

On the other hand, Unsanity, whose products are crazy incompatible with Intel macs, manages to churn out a couple Intel compatible freeware haxies before any of their other stuff...considering how they don't really put that much effort behind the freeware, that makes noooooo sense to me.

What is nice though, is the projects that work hard on this stuff, and the people who try to release unibins for the developers who aren't providing one but where the source code's available.

What's not nice is when companies don't really seem interested in churning out unibins for their printer drivers and such. I think half the PPC stuff running on this mac mini is the printer software.

Also, running Flip4Mac in rosetta stinks. Moreso than using windows media player in XP and watching the movie over VNC on a wireless 802.11g network, which I do because it's better than flip4mac+rosetta..

21. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

I agree about the developers response to universal binaries can be frustrating. Most of them have given fairly straight forward information, if not already providing the universal binary. flip4mac is in my opinion a terrible company as far as providing useful information with regards to intel support. They have been saying for months now only "we are working on it". I appreciate that timelines and budgets/etc can me hard to determine, but being unwilling to give any kind of time estimate (weeks, months, next year) is very irresponsible for a company to do. Especially one that only makes products for Mac and only a handful of them at that. If they said we aren't going to get to it until Q3 '06, that's fine, but at least say something.

22. janey macrumors 603

janey

well it would be worse off for everyone, and make you more angry, if they said "hey, it'll be out by july 2006..." then they say around july that it's not ready yet, and say it'll be out in october...then around october say they need more time...

23. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That's more like it.... Vista anyone?? :D

I use my Mac mini Core Duo also as my media box. Got ik hooked up to my HD ready 1280 x 768 LCD TV via DVI, and am very pleased with it.
    I use Front Row for all the videos I have.

Luckily DivX 6 has an UB beta, which runs very well, but I miss just three codecs to make it a perfect world:
    AC3 audio, 3ivx, and Flip4Mac.

I have to use VLC (which is excellent, grab the latest nightly builds)
    But it would be so nice if all these codecs were for QuickTime, thus working in Front Row.

24. rehlers macrumors member

rehlers

Everyone suggests VLC, and maybe I'm missing something with it, but it doesn't support WMV codec that is in WMPv9+, which seems to be what most of the WMV is encoded in. Is there something else to WMV in VLC that I'm missing?

25. strydr macrumors 6502

strydr

I totally agree here. You'd think the first thing they would update APE, but no.. there page currently lists two of fifteen apps that have made the transition. Even worse, those two apps are on the free list. What about people that have purchased their software- you'd think software that brings them $$ would be the first things to be UB's..