Intel Mac: To Buy or not to Buy...that is the question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by secret squirrel, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. secret squirrel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2005
    #1
    Ok guys, I purchased a brand new Apple iMac 20inch with various upgrades about 5 months ago. Now those nice people at Apple have released Macs with Intel processors and different architecture.
    I’m wondering if I should sell my imac G5 and buy the new imac Intel as I’m worried that Apple may stop developing / supporting the G5 architecture. Am I right to think this and sell now or is this a nonsensical argument?

    Many thanks in advance.
     
  2. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #2
    The major issue facing Intel based machines right now is the availablity of
    universal binary applications.

    Right now your current model still gives you more software options.

    The decision to upgrade really depends on your primary application needs.
     
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #3
    Ignoring the Intel Mac for a moment, are you still satisfied with the G5's performance?
     
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #4
    This G5 is a dream!

    I came up from a 300MHz G3 so I'm still blown away.

    The decision to upgrade really depends on your primary application.

    Right now audio is still geared towards PPC and AGP while slowly moving up to PPC with PCI-Express.

    So much of the decision needs to address current additional hardware and software availability.

    If I was starting from scratch, I'd be looking at the dual cores with PCI-Express and be prepaired to hold out for 3 years with a strong working system.
     
  5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2004
    #5
    if you have a G5 iMac. I'd try to ebay it and then buy the intel imac. The longer you hold off, the cheaper that G5 is going to go for. If you can handle (for the time being) less than stellar performance on many third party apps. I figure, the people who really love Final Cut Pro or Photoshop and NEED that speed of a G5, they aren't computing on an iMac anyway
     
  6. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #6
    well, if you really like the g5 then I would wait.
    I just got an intel imac and love it - but I am coming from a PB 17 1.67.

    With out the ubs you're probably going to be disspointed for a while. The lack of UBs seem to balance out the dual cpus - though is does seem to handle multple OS task more easily (copying 6000 itunes songs, while surfing and stuff) UB ( apple sw) is FAST basically instantaneous.
    Rosetta stuff is sticky - but I also only have 512M and will upgrade this week to 1.5 But office is very usable. I notice going from ub stuff to rosetta is slow - but this is mostly ram issues I am guessing


    I know it will only get better and better.
    Also, I love the extedned desktop on the new imacs - not available on the G5s I believe - but the imac 17" screen is so bright and white it makes my 20" lcd look postively dingey
     
  7. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2006
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #7
    Hmmm... I'm not an expert, but I'd say getwait a month or two... see if Intel is here to stay.... then buy. Newer is always better! Unless u have bought the iMac G5 hoping it's uptodate and you find out that it won't let you run Apeture. But ehh... go with ur gut feelin' / buying habits... hahah
     
  8. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California

Share This Page