Intel MacBook (iBook) Rev. A

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by esaleris, Jan 23, 2006.

Is it worth it to buy a Rev. A Intel iBook-successor?

1. Yes - Most bugs fixed from lessons leared from earlier Intel macs.

13 vote(s)
  2. No - Bugs remain even after experience from earlier Intel macs.

3 vote(s)
  1. esaleris macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2005
    Hey all,

I have a question for you guys, and would love to hear your opinion. As we all know, the MacBook Pros are shipping in February and a lot has been said about the Revision A status of those machines. The same is the case for the iMacs. Some have said that the iMacs look like poor "patch-jobs" that were slightly rushed into productions.

My question is specifically about the Intel-based successor to the iBook - MacBook or iBook or whatever the name may be. Will it be worth it to get a Revision A iBook, when they do arrive?

It's possible that most of the issues that need to be worked out will be lessons learned from the MBP. However, it will be a new design altogether, so there might be some bugs that pop up because of that. What do you think?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Sure, if you need to replace your iBook. I answered yes, but I don't imagine I'll be replacing my year-and-a-half-old iBook for a couple more years yet. Does everything I need.
  3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I voted yes.

Even if I'm sure that the percentage of Rev A machines with errors are higher than usual it's still a very small percentage, and even if it's a hassle to get it replaced the risk isn't that big.

I had to replace my (rev A) iBook G4 because of a bad speaker, and even if the hour on the phone with Apple Store, on up to several different languages, I still don't regret getting it. (And remember that the bad logic boards that plagued the iBook G3s, spanned over several (all?) revs.

I still hope my iBook will last me at least out this year though, and that my next laptop is a later rev of (the yet unreleased) 12"-ish MacBook (don't really need a pro). But that has more to do with my personal economy and less to to with a rev A-fear.

History lesson: I bought a 68k Mac just about the time Apple went PPC (back in '94), and even though Apple (and most other software companies) said they'd support 68k for a long, long time, the red stickers with "optimized for PPC" came extremely quickly, and was soon followed by PPC recommendations and very soon after that PPC requirements for new versions, so at the moment I'm more sceptical at getting a legacy Mac than a rev A. ;)
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    Rev A: argument to me is nothing to be concerned over.

I've had a number of Rev A machines which have been perfect and are still working as well today, as they were when I got them.

My Rev A powermac was the only REV A machnie I had a problem with. One processor gave up early in its life and apple replaced it. No trouble since.

Applecare is yours for a year regardless, and if anything is going to show up with these machines, it will be fairly early into its life and your applecare will cover it.. Plus at any point in that year you want to upgrade your apple care you can do so for that extra piece of mind.

The last hardware I returned was a Rev E powerbook because of the horizontal line issue - so problems can arise regardless of hardware revision.

Chances are though, they'll likely be quicker fixing any problems on a Rev A machine than they would in later revisions. Again look at Rev E powerbook. Apple still haven't officialy recognised the problem screens - even though users of this forum have :D

I've ordered a Rev A Intel ImacDuo without that fear..