Intel MacMini digital outputs, etc...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NatronB, Mar 28, 2006.

1. NatronB macrumors regular

I ordered my mini (Core Solo, 1 GB RAM) last week and it ships out on Thursday (delivery on the 6th).

In preparing for its arrival I thought I should probably do a few things. First off, I think I'm going to need a DVI cable. I also think I need an optical audio cable and an optical "splitter" (my receiver only has one optical in).

Next, I bought a MicroNet Mini Mate external hard drive/ hub. Should I run OS X off this guy? It's a 7200 RPM drive, but I suppose the limiting factor could be the Firewire bus.

Lastly, I was under the impression that the DVD player pushed out 5.1 sound right out of the box. Is this true?

Thanks,

-N

2. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

Yes.

From apple: Apple DVD players can play DVD-Video disks — including the latest hit movies, classics and educational titles — with a great picture and full stereo sound. If you have a surround-sound system, you can even hear six-channel AC3 sound.

3. NatronB thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

Thanks for the help, I got taken aback by a previous post in this forum (re: 5.1). In re-reading it, I realized I misinterpretted it.

Will "splitting" the optical audio degrade the signal?

Thanks,

-N

4. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

No.