Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needenalife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Okay, I am new to macs and I don't really know how apple does with the whole upgrading operating systems.

Anyway, I just bought an imac intel. I am going to be a college student so I am going to buy an intel-macbook, also. My question is should I just wait untill the new osx comes out. Because I do not really want to spend money on another mac computer then two months later have a new operating system come out, I don't really have enough money but I would like the new operating system because lets face it the computer will be basically new. Yet, mac is offering good deals right now for college students. If I did buy another mac and I do not get the operating system for cheap I will be kind of mad, unless I can use the keycode twice and put it on both macs.

Does anyone else feel my pain or have thoughts about the launch?

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
OS X 10.5 'Leopard' won't be out until Late 2006 at the very earliest, more likely early 2007. Therefore I'd be inclined to suggest that if you interested in buying a Mac and you're happy with the current deals then go for it.

The good thing is that when 10.5 does come out, as a student you will be able to buy it at a lower price than normal retail price. I got 10.4 for under £50 last year by taking advantage of the generous student discount.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Regarding installing on multiple systems, there's a 5-licence version available, and it's cheaper than buying two 1-licence versions.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Do you think the 5-licence version will install on both PowerPC and Intel macs?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
starnox said:
Do you think the 5-licence version will install on both PowerPC and Intel macs?
They'd piss off the main demographic of people who buy the Family Pack, i.e. people who own more than one Mac, if they didn't support PPC and Intel in one package... iLife and iWork Family Packs are Universal Binaries...

B

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Can't you just buy a 1-license package, and then not register, and thereby install on mutiple macs. My brother installed his three office licenses on five different macs...:D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Nermal said:
While there's nothing stopping you, it's not legal.
And the whole point of the Family Pack is that it really doesn't cost that much to stay legal. $79 for 1 or $99 for 5 Macs for iLife/iWork and $129 for 1 vs. $199 for 5 for OS X. Why not stay legal...

B

needenalife

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Well if I am going by the numbers for Tiger.

For a student a single is $69.00 while the family pack is $199. So wouldn't it be best for me as a student with two computers to buy two single packs. Although that means I will not be able to buy anymore software at student discount. Hmm or maybe I will just upgrade one of my computers... gah I hope the family pack goes down in price once the new osx comes out, at least for a couple months.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I would bet that a majority of people with multiple Macs in their house at the time Leopard comes out will have a mix of PowerPC and Intel Macs. It would be stupid for it not to be universal, or at the very least have Intel and PowerPC versions on separate disks in the same box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.