Intel Macs and Viruses

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vicki2314, Jun 1, 2006.

1. vicki2314 macrumors member

So now that macs are able to run both windows and windows programs, does this mean they are more susceptible to all those pc viruses?

I'm just concerned about the security of the new intel macs as opposed to my G5...

Thanks in advance.

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

If a computer is running Windows, then it is susceptible. Otherwise, no.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Is the Macintosh HD not only susceptible if the Windows OS can see the Mac HD?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

If you have installed Windows on your Mac (through BootCamp), your entire HDD (both Mac & Windows partitions) is susceptible to malware. While I haven't heard of any directly affecting both, it could happen.

If you have not installed Windows, then it is not different than your G5.

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Relax. Virus operates within the operating system and not directly within the hardware. If you run Windows, you're screwed, if you run Unix, you're safe. Period.

Except that Windows does not natively support Macintosh partitions, so a Windows virus will not see the partition that is invisible to the operating system. OSX sees Windows partitions, but a Windows virus can do no harm on a non-Windows operating system.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In theory is sounds great. I just don't believe that it will stop anyone though. Remember, viruses are always one step ahead of Windows. ;)

7. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Well, one can always delete partitions, but regarding the probably sensitive data on your Mac partition, there's little chance a Windows virus will get to it and distribute it to the rest of the world.

You will always need backups. When you work with Windows, you need to have everything backed up twice. And often. But other than data loss, Mac partitions are safe from a Windows virus.

8. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

a virus can take down the whole computer. simple as that.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

There are extremely few viruses that just scratch the disk entirely. I don't know of any modern virus that does that. If the virus doesn't do that, the Mac partition is safe.

10. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

At the moment there are no viruses that can affect both partitions. Only windows is affected right now.